ERA6 unusable after update

Hi,

I've been using Remote Administrator for about 6 months with little to no issues but I recently updated the box this is running on from Windows 7 to SP1 and it's now so slow to be unusable and it's on 99% processor usage most of the time. I uninstalled and reinstalled the entire console and it's dependents using the All in One installer. It's running in an HyperV environment if that makes any difference. Are there any known compatibility issues with Win7 SP1?

• ESET Staff

Hi,

I've been using Remote Administrator for about 6 months with little to no issues but I recently updated the box this is running on from Windows 7 to SP1 and it's now so slow to be unusable and it's on 99% processor usage most of the time. I uninstalled and reinstalled the entire console and it's dependents using the All in One installer. It's running in an HyperV environment if that makes any difference. Are there any known compatibility issues with Win7 SP1?

We are not aware of any issues on Windows 7 (even it is not official supported system for ERA SERVER installation). Could you be more specific what process is taking CPU? If we ignore performance, does ERA actually work, or services are not even running?

Edited by MartinK

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's svchost.exe so hard to tell exactly but I think it may be the SQL Server Express installation that's bundled with ERA. It does work but is virtually unusable, times out a lot or is just far too slow. It goes in waves and about 10/20% of the time it returns to normality but otherwise it's consistently slow. I'm running Windows update again to see if perhaps there's a patch since SP1 that may fix the performance.

• ESET Staff

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's svchost.exe so hard to tell exactly but I think it may be the SQL Server Express installation that's bundled with ERA. It does work but is virtually unusable, times out a lot or is just far too slow. It goes in waves and about 10/20% of the time it returns to normality but otherwise it's consistently slow. I'm running Windows update again to see if perhaps there's a patch since SP1 that may fix the performance.

When using Task Manager -> Processes -> Show processes from all users you should see ERA processes separately (ERAAgent, ERAProxy).

In case even in this view it look like svhost.exe is taking CPU, tools like Process Explorer (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx) may be useful, they are able to show what is running under specific services host. As you noted, it may be virtually anything .. from bug to standard post-upgrade processes (maybe some kind of reindexing...).