Automatic update for Ese NOD 32 v8 users?

Piotrek

In this topic Marcos wrote:

''Anyways, we're going to upgrade v8 users to v9 some time soon so if you were having some issues with it that hindered you from upgrade let us know.''

https://forum.eset.com/topic/8152-how-do-i-use-a-new-license-on-v8/

Automatic update for v8 users?

In my opinion this is not good idea....

One months ago I tried install v9 and...  I back to the v8.

Why?

Because with v9 my system starts 4 minutes! In ''event log'' i see slow down system startup by ekrn.exe (Eset Service).

V9 is the first version, who have this problem. In the past, v5, v6, v7,v8 worked perfectly for me and system starts normaly.

Windows 7 64bit.

Edited by Piotrek

• Administrators

Could you please create a Process Monitor boot log when v9 is installed? It's not necessarily ESET's fault if you are having issues. For instance, we know that some 3rd party software interferes with v9 on Windows 8.1+ systems and the vendor is currently attempting to pinpoint the cause.

When a user encounters an issue, we strongly recommend contacting ESET's customer care as installing an older version of the product should always be used only as the last resort.

At this moment i have v8 instaled. 

In system ''event log'' i see ekrn.exe from v9 delays the start of the system ...

From system Event LogDiagnostics-Performance (in polish):

Nazwa pliku : ekrn.exe
     Przyjazna nazwa : ESET Service
     Wersja : 9.0.374.0 
     Całkowity czas : 113571ms                                                            -------------------------------------------------------!!!!!!!!!!
     Czas obniż. wydajności : 106071ms                                                  ----------------------------------------------------!!!!!!!!!!!
     Godzina zdarzenia (UTC) : ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎24T17:08:09.656000300Z

Nazwa pliku : ekrn.exe
     Przyjazna nazwa : ESET Service
     Wersja : 9.0.374.0 
     Całkowity czas : 102392ms                                                            -------------------------------------------------------!!!!!!!!!!                                     
     Czas obniż. wydajności : 93892ms                                              ----------------------------------------------------!!!!!!!!!!!
     Godzina zdarzenia (UTC) : ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎24T16:45:31.656000300Z

When I got back to the old version (v8), everything is back to normal........
Edited by Piotrek

I understand wanting to have users use the latest version of the product. But as it stands right now, users can download v7-v9 with out any issue. I do not think it's a good idea to upgrade users to the latest version without their consent.

I myself have been between v8, v9 and v10. I like v8 the best, but I am also open to working with the latest version. I have had long boot times with v9. Version 8 boot time 40 seconds vs. v9 4m 40s. It is hit and miss-now with v9 my boot time are about 1m. 

It's just my opinion (my 2 cents if you will)......but I don't think ESET should mirror Microsoft and their asinine attempts to get everyone on W10.

Edited by TomFace

• 2 weeks later...

I have never got anything to auto upgrade as I manage to find upgrades well defore they are released on the update system within the program.