ERA 6 Agent and Client Push Pre-requisite Checker Tool

We recently upgraded to 6.3 a few days ago. Since then, we are unable to push the agent or client to any domain hosts. The tasks fail with the suggestion to check ipc$, etc, etc. This used to work, but doesn't now.

I'm wondering if there is a tool that can be run to go through each item and verify that all of the pre-requisites have been met. Nothing has changed except the ERA version, so of course they are met, but it still would be nice to have a tool.

I can't get uninstall tasks to work in ERA 6.X, but hey, according to ESET it works and it's been tested.  I suggest you call and bother their service desk.   I plan on doing that for each bug/issue I find.  If they didn't want their service desk overloaded they should have spent more time on QA.

• ESET Staff

Hi @sreece,

Yes, a tool should be great! :) +1

From my experience @cpetry even if you know nothing changes except 1 thing,

believe the system is tricky and somewhere some software change the Flag

of the railroad.

The bad thing is you have to look to all there to find which one and the Tool

should be great to help you.

I think that instead of checking to see if a client can be upgraded, it should just work.  I don't even recall needing a checker tool for any other product like ERA.  If I pushed a software install/uninstall or upgrade task, it should just work.  They need to take a play from their rip and replace tool.

• ESET Staff

I believe when you starting to "see" or "seek" a Tool in the future just mean

"someone is a bit lazy or in his programmer head start to vision the possibility"

and can be just a simple .batch file with some orders.

I lack of knowledge on network to make a .batch file if not I will do it.

The product should work for it's customers.  No one should be writing batch files or scripts to automate what ERA should be doing.  It's also not like a batch file would work for installing/uninstalling/upgrading endpoints.  I've had to boot into SAFE MODE more times than I can count to run ESETUninstaller.exe so I could cleanly remove the endpoint just so I could reinstall the endpoint.

• ESET Staff

Yes, the product should work.

My tests well fine with a little work, I must say but I'm using a reduced test environment

combining just 2 pc and 2 virtual-pc. I don't have a large network like you or your systems.

I'm not saying .batch file to "installing/uninstalling/upgrading endpoints", just a one to check

the pings and some basic requirements before you start sending those jobs.

From my experience using ERAv6 the "uninstalling" have some delicate place, if some

conditions are not met fails, and you have to read the logs to find why happen.

In other hand ERAv6 seems to be is designed to work under "standard industries" like

everyone "should be using" (I put "should be" because in my country those "standard"

in company never exists, like "windows administrator account set in every terminal").

From that starting point is like, "you check the requirements and set the "entire" network before",

but reality is not all networks works perfectly or we don't have this conversation here. :)

Have to go, back later.

I'm not going to get into the issue of "it should just work". That would be ideal, but here we are. I would just like the ERA server to be able to determine if the pre-requisites are met, and, if not, indicate exactly why they aren't. Listing 7 possible reasons isn't sufficient for a failed remote installation.

My point is they can waste time coding "checks" or they can do it right and code it so when you install or upgrade it does just that.  What if it's a bug and the "tool" you want just comes back and says the upgrade will fail on everything (as it did for you...)?