Do proxy servers act as software repositories? (ver 6)

Go to solution Solved by MartinK,

The purpose behind my question is trying to workout the best way to do a push install of EAV & EFSW to remote sites which have a limited bandwidth vpn connection to the central site, however they do have a reasonable general internet connection.

If I was to set up a proxy ERA server would that also act as a proxy for push install, i.e. would the software also reside on the proxy server so that e.g. the subnet that the proxy was serving would receive its packages from the local machine?

(I am assuming that the main era server holds a copy of the packages and then pushes these to the clients)

Alternatively I see that there are policy settings for "Install by direct package URL" could this point to repository either in the cloud or a machine in the local subnet?

regards

roga

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

(I am assuming that the main era server holds a copy of the packages and then pushes these to the clients)

Actually this assumption is not correct. Package to be installed by software installation task is downloaded on client machine, by AGENT itself directly from internet ESET repositories. This can be avoided using HTTP proxy. If I understood you correctly, for your case would be best if AGENTs on targeted clients are not using any HTTP proxy and thus downloading packages directly from internet. Alternative is to install HTTP Proxy in targeted sub-network to avoid extensive bandwidth usage during packages download, as it may be huge (installer size * number of client computers at least).

• ESET Staff

If I was to set up a proxy ERA server would that also act as a proxy for push install, i.e. would the software also reside on the proxy server so that e.g. the subnet that the proxy was serving would receive its packages from the local machine?

In case you meant ESET Remote Administrator Proxy it won't help. Both software installation task and remote installation are downloading packages on client, i.e. so called "push" installation is not supported.

Alternatively I see that there are policy settings for "Install by direct package URL" could this point to repository either in the cloud or a machine in the local subnet?

Yes, you can set up your own "mirror" for this packages to be sure no traffic leaves sub-network. In case you are in windows-only environment, even file on network share should be sufficient.

Edited by MartinK

Actually this assumption is not correct. Package to be installed by software installation task is downloaded on client machine, by AGENT itself directly from internet ESET repositories.

Thanks for that, looks like I don't need to think about setting a mirror or proxy on the remote sub-net as they do have decent internet download capability.