Question about prepaing for ESET Smart Security

Yesterday I purchased a license for Smart Security 6 - 1 computer. I expect receipt of it in a few days.

Getting ready for it, what do I have to do? Remove my firewall program, Superantispyware and Malwarebytes?

I just want to be prepared.

Thanks for your advice.

Sorry for the subject mispelling. :(

Edited by jadinolf

If you have a third party firewall. Yes remove.

Malwarebytes works with Eset. If you have issues contact malwarebytes as they publicly state full

Compatibility & if not they will work with vendor to make it happen no matter the adjustment needed.

SuperAntiSpyware may just need Real time protection disabled.

If you have a third party firewall. Yes remove.

Malwarebytes works with Eset. If you have issues contact malwarebytes as they publicly state full

Compatibility & if not they will work with vendor to make it happen no matter the adjustment needed.

SuperAntiSpyware may just need Real time protection disabled.

Arakasi, thank you very much for the prompt reply.

I am looking forward to trying Smart Security. I already have NOD32 Antivirus on 3 computers.

Most appreciated.

Your most welcome jadinolf,

It was nice to meet you,

. . . and take your time choosing what mode to use for the firewall as everyone has their own taste or likes/dislikes. No matter your decision you can always switch too !

The forums are here should you have questions sir.

Good luck !

why wait?

download the trial - when you get your license you purchased, activate it and drop the username/password into the version you have installed.  The trial and full verison are not functionally different at all.

@jadinolf

I use ESS and MBAM On-demand not the Pro version in real-time.  But IMO it is totally unnecessary to run SAS Pro in real-time also along ESET and MBAM. (if that was your question mentioning all three, not sure)

So my suggestion is, either you use ESS alone like me, or you could use ESS and add MBAM Pro too if you like, even if I think that is too much for real-time protection as well.

I don't like to run several AV's/AM's in real-time and put in exsclusions etc etc.. So I have always used ESS alone, and everything else on-demand only. Before I used MBAM and SAS on-demand, but I don't even use SAS on-demand anymore. Only MBAM.

(I say used, but I don't actually scan once every 6'th month with either of the OD scanners as I feel it wasn't needed.)

I always only use 1 thing in real-time, better for system performance etc etc... and if something goes wrong I only have program to troubleshoot with, not two, three programs like some users use. It's too much simple as that lol, and I believe it causes more problems than offering more protection by using more than one in real-time. I think it's better to put in OS restrictions than add more real-time programs, though personally I don't have many OS restrictions either :P Good for high risk users, but not for me. :)

Thank you all. I will install the trial version today as you suggested. Good idea.

The reason I asked about SAS and MBAM is because I downloaded the beta of Smart Security 7 and as I recall it told me to uninstall those programs.

As it turned out, it would not install on my Vista laptop so I gave up after several attempts.

I bought Smart Security 7 for my only Win XP computer. I have three Windows 7 computers and they have Nod32 Antivirus installed.

Thanks for all the comments and wish me luck.

Well, it's installed and there were no problems.

Set up my weekly scan and Idle-state scanning.

Now I have to do housework (I'm a widower) and walk my dog and then I'll have time to play with this.

I think that when my license for NOD32 Antivirus expires in June 2014  I'll go to Smart Security on my Windows 7 Computers as well.

Thanks again.

@jadinolf

I use ESS and MBAM On-demand not the Pro version in real-time.  But IMO it is totally unnecessary to run SAS Pro in real-time also along ESET and MBAM. (if that was your question mentioning all three, not sure)

So my suggestion is, either you use ESS alone like me, or you could use ESS and add MBAM Pro too if you like, even if I think that is too much for real-time protection as well.

I don't like to run several AV's/AM's in real-time and put in exsclusions etc etc.. So I have always used ESS alone, and everything else on-demand only. Before I used MBAM and SAS on-demand, but I don't even use SAS on-demand anymore. Only MBAM.

(I say used, but I don't actually scan once every 6'th month with either of the OD scanners as I feel it wasn't needed.)

I always only use 1 thing in real-time, better for system performance etc etc... and if something goes wrong I only have program to troubleshoot with, not two, three programs like some users use. It's too much simple as that lol, and I believe it causes more problems than offering more protection by using more than one in real-time. I think it's better to put in OS restrictions than add more real-time programs, though personally I don't have many OS restrictions either :P Good for high risk users, but not for me. :)

I run mbam in real time and eset , real time.

They work just fine.

Superantispyware is the only of the three that will get rid of tracking cookies.

mbam doesnt do this, neither does eset.

So i dont use real time on SAS and use it to scan regularly for cookies, it does a better job then any other progam i have found, besides using host file or hitmanpro !

@jadinolf

They work just fine.

Superantispyware is the only of the three that will get rid of tracking cookies.

So i dont use real time on SAS and use it to scan regularly for cookies, it does a better job then any other progam i have found, besides using host file or hitmanpro !

Thanks very much for the information.

I ran a scan while I was walking my dog and it found nothing which is normal.

@jadinolf

They work just fine.

Yeah many people say that, but using SAS only for the tracking cookie detection is not something I would do. I use CCleaner for that too, SAS detects the tracking cookies and get's rid of them, CCleaner detects the tracking cookies and get's rid of them. They do them same thing regarding the tracking cookies so I would not use SAS only to detect them. 

And ESET and MBAM does not detect them since they are not considered a threat, they are only cookies wich can be taken care of easily if the user wants to in the browser settings, or using CCleaner for example.

I didn't mean that one shouldn't run ESET and MBAM Pro together, one can do that if one wants to, even if some get's problems with the MBAM real-time module, most don't and so it's OK to give it a try. Only I think it's not necessary, and therefore I use MBAM on-demand instead. Each to their own :)

@jadinolf

They work just fine.

Yeah many people say that, but using SAS only for the tracking cookie detection is not something I would do. I use CCleaner for that too, SAS detects the tracking cookies and get's rid of them, CCleaner detects the tracking cookies and get's rid of them. They do them same thing regarding the tracking cookies so I would not use SAS only to detect them. 

And ESET and MBAM does not detect them since they are not considered a threat, they are only cookies wich can be taken care of easily if the user wants to in the browser settings, or using CCleaner for example.

I didn't mean that one shouldn't run ESET and MBAM Pro together, one can do that if one wants to, even if some get's problems with the MBAM real-time module, most don't and so it's OK to give it a try. Only I think it's not necessary, and therefore I use MBAM on-demand instead. Each to their own :)

Im sorry but this is incorrect Swex.

I will post a picture as proof, standby

CCleaner deletes cache, and deletes cookies, sometimes .......

but fails to grab all of the cookies due to the directories ccleaner cleans

you would need to import the sites you want it to delete and directories ec.

Most common users do not do this or know how, or even bother.

post-1101-0-98095700-1377530310_thumb.jpg

post-1101-0-86345800-1377530385_thumb.jpg

I have been using SAS for the better part of 5 years.

People really neglect it sometimes for the threats it finds and repairs it can initiate due to broken systems :

post-1101-0-84862200-1377530553_thumb.jpg

Hmmm interesting, and good to know that CCleaner sometimes don't clean out all of them, even so it's not a big deal as they will come back next time I visit that same website, unless you use a program that scans the website content and blocks the tracking cookies at the source on the website, so they would never enter the system.

And even now when I know that CCleaner may leave some of them behind, it's not a reason big enough to use SAS only for that purpose. But the repair function is nice I can agree on that.  :)

In any case, thansk for sharing the info (and correcting me) regarding that CC sometimes leave some of them behind.

FWIW. I have also had SAS installed for more than 5 years (it is still installed but it's not updated because I don't use it), but I have never needed to use it for the more serious stuff, or even MBAM for that matter. Mr E always does the best job before it turns ugly  ;)

I think this has turned into a SAS thread...... :o

Edited by SweX

I think this has turned into a SAS thread...... :o

All true,

+1 to you my friend for this fun conversation .

Mr Eset does just fine for me. I personally dont use SAS that much as i make it out to sound.

I simply use it to clean customer machines who dont have eset along with a few other apps in tandem.

At any rate, i concur the Sas thread to be closed :)

+1 for you to mate, yes it's one of these "second opinion" tools that may come in handy sometimes, along with MBAM and HitmanPro for example.  B)