Huge number of files reported by Nod32 scan?

RogerSC

Nod32 reports scanning about 1.1 million files on my computer.  As far as I can see, I don't have nearly that many files on my computer.  The reason that I mention this is because I'd like the scan to go faster, but with that many files reported, I don't see how it could.

This raises these questions:

1. How does Nod32 count files?  Can one physical file count for more than one file to Nod32, like maybe some kind of archive files or cabinet files or something?

2. Is there a tool for identifying where these files are on my computer's file system?  If I have over 1 million files, it seems like a large fraction must be able to be removed, like temporary files.  I use the Windows Disk Cleanup, and that doesn't really change this situation materially.

Anyone else have this large number of files reported scanned by Nod32 and ask the same question, and figure out what's happening?  Just seems crazy.

I'd like to add that I just used Agent Ransack to search for all files on my C: and D: drives, and it reports around 140,000 files.  So a factor of 8 more files reported by Nod32? Interesting.

Edited by RogerSC

Nod32 reports scanning about 1.1 million files on my computer.  As far as I can see, I don't have nearly that many files on my computer.  The reason that I mention this is because I'd like the scan to go faster, but with that many files reported, I don't see how it could.

This raises these questions:

1. How does Nod32 count files?  Can one physical file count for more than one file to Nod32, like maybe some kind of archive files or cabinet files or something?

2. Is there a tool for identifying where these files are on my computer's file system?  If I have over 1 million files, it seems like a large fraction must be able to be removed, like temporary files.  I use the Windows Disk Cleanup, and that doesn't really change this situation materially.

Anyone else have this large number of files reported scanned by Nod32 and ask the same question, and figure out what's happening?  Just seems crazy.

I'd like to add that I just used Agent Ransack to search for all files on my C: and D: drives, and it reports around 140,000 files.  So a factor of 8 more files reported by Nod32? Interesting.

Hello RogerSC!

First, was this your first scan ever with NOD32? If YES, then the second scan and every scan after will be much faster due to the cache function. Also, what version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus do you use?

1. I can't answer that.

2. Instead of using the Windows disk cleanup tool, To get more stuff cleaned out, download CCleaner from piriform.com  And it will clean out browser cache, temp files, and more stuff, though before you use it, uncheck the stuff you don't want to get cleaned out, and then start the cleaning.

Use this link if you would like to download CCleaner, scroll down and download the "slim build" without the 3'rd party bundle:  hxxp://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

/// SweX

Edited by SweX

No, I've been using Nod32 for some time now (years, but just re-installed this computer a couple of months ago, the first scan was slow *smile*), and the in-depth scan time is about 30 minutes.  That isn't bad, but this is a fast computer (SSD and Core i7 processor), so it should scan quickly.

And thanks for the tips on file system cleanup...I'll look into that, but what amazes me is that Nod32 says that it is scanning 1.1 million files, while only 140,000 files (closer to the actual number of physical files, I'm sure) are found on my computer.

I'm going to play around and see if I can find files to scan that Nod32 reports more than 1 file for.  I can assess what's going on when I identify those files (I expect that they are archives of some sort).

• Administrators

Each file in an archive is counted as an object. Maybe you could set a size limit for scanned objects or disable scanning archives if you want to run an on-demand scan on a regular basis.

Try disable the "scanning inside archives" option in the scan setup, and then start a new scan to see if, and how much it will drop from 1.1 million scanned files. Just to see if it makes a huge difference or not.