Smart Security 9.0.377.0

• ESET Insiders
the Hipp problem was now finally solved? ( German: Wurde nun auch endlich mal das Hipp Problem gelöst?)

The download pages of the ESET site still show v9.0.375.  And having just downloaded the file (32-bit), it shows v9.0.376.  It's not easy knowing what version is current, what you download and the fact that the in-built 'Check for Updates' facility has never worked doesn't help.  

Edited by Skier

• ESET Moderators

Which Download pages do you see the old changelog, I just checked the /int and /us pages and they both show the .377 (English) version. Regarding current build number, the .377 should be the version for English, but there are different build numbers for other language editions (for example, for .376 I show PL, CZY, and SKY, which language edition did you install (and what's the file path for the installer to doublecheck)?

I'm sorry for the confusion regarding latest build numbers, this is something we (me in Knowledgebase along with web team and product managers) are discussing in order to make this a smoother process for communicating new builds and how to determine the current version available. 

I wasn't referring to the Changelog pages.  The download page here: hxxp://www.eset.co.uk/Download/Software/Product/ESSH shows v9.0.375.  If you download the file it shows v9.0.376.  There's no mention of v9.0.377 anywhere.  When a version is released in English, I (perhaps naively) expect that it will be available on the site specifically for the the home of the English language.

Edited by Skier

I'm aware that it's available on the '.com' site.  The point is that when you first log-on to the ESET site (before a cookie is stored) you are asked for your country to take you to the site specifically for that country (don't get me started on the fact that the 'English' language is shown with a US flag!!!).  

For the ESET moderators: sort out version/configuration control; sort out availability on the appropriate website and, if you're going to have a facility within the program to, and I quote: 'Check for Updates' - make it work!

Primarily because of the issue discussed HERE I have moved away from ESET on my desktop and will probably do the same on my laptop when the licence expires in Oct 16.  A shame as prior to v9 I was a big fan of ESET Smart Security.

• Administrators
I'm aware that it's available on the '.com' site.  The point is that when you first log-on to the ESET site (before a cookie is stored) you are asked for your country to take you to the site specifically for that country (don't get me started on the fact that the 'English' language is shown with a US flag!!!).

I don't see any flags on the web page where you are redirected if no cookie exists:

post-10-0-72311800-1462194298_thumb.png

For the ESET moderators: sort out version/configuration control; sort out availability on the appropriate website and, if you're going to have a facility within the program to, and I quote: 'Check for Updates' - make it work!

On the download page there are version numbers of available installers listed, not sure what you mean. Also the "Check for update" function has always worked and whenever we made a particular version available for update for existing users (the so-called PCU), it was actually offered to users.

Primarily because of the issue discussed HERE I have moved away from ESET on my desktop and will probably do the same on my laptop when the licence expires in Oct 16.  A shame as prior to v9 I was a big fan of ESET Smart Security.

Application statuses have been improved in v10.

Marcos,

This is getting ridiculous.

When you select the fact that you're from the UK you're are directed to www.eset.co.uk.  On this site the version listed is 9.0.375 (See HERE).  If you download the file it is v9.0.376 and yet on the US site (.com), version 9.0.377 is shown as available.

On the download page there is indeed a version number shown and on the UK site (the home of the English language) it is shown as v9.0.375.

The 'Check for Update' facility doesn't work - and never has (there are many posts in the forums on precisely this).  When I clicked on 'Check for Updates' on my laptop with v9.0.375 installed, it stated that no updates were available.  And yet v9.0.377 was available.

Depending on whether v10 is released before my licence expires will determine whether I even look at it.  I have moved to Kaspersky on my desktop.

Edited by Skier

Guest MarcoO

Marcos,

This is getting ridiculous.

When you select the fact that you're from the UK you're are directed to www.eset.co.uk.  On this site the version listed is 9.0.375 (See HERE).  If you download the file it is v9.0.376 and yet on the US site (.com), version 9.0.377 is shown as available.

On the download page there is indeed a version number shown and on the UK site (the home of the English language) it is shown as v9.0.375.

The 'Check for Update' facility doesn't work - and never has (there are many posts in the forums on precisely this).  When I clicked on 'Check for Updates' on my laptop with v9.0.375 installed, it stated that no updates were available.  And yet v9.0.377 was available.

Depending on whether v10 is released before my licence expires will determine whether I even look at it.  I have moved to Kaspersky on my desktop.

Dear Skier,

as I read I think updates are very important for you so please remember that in that point Kaspersky is very bad. I came from Kaspersky because of many bugs and problems... but that is your decision.

It is absolutly not important where you download it, so for the next time please try it at the links postet here or when not, on other websites from ESET, like the german one... Here is the link for you:

hxxp://www.eset.com/de/download/home/detail/family/5/?installer=offline#offline,249,ENU,

As in every application even in Kaspersky the new builds are directly on the website but not in the application itself. You have to wait a little bit and then you can update your application to the new build.

Feel free to ask but don't change your application so fast when something isn't working like you expect.

Regards

• Administrators

The issue with version numbering on the website has been reported to the UK department who is responsible for their local website.

As for the built-in program update function, it works for me and shows v9.0.375 as the most current which is in fact the latest one available as a uPCU (micro program component update). There will always be some gap between the release of installers and the time when that version becomes available as a uPCU.

MarcoO

Please read what I have previously written. The primary reason I have moved away from ESET on my desktop is nothing to do with updates. Oh, and by the way, I am free to chop and change as I please. Kaspersky is working fine right now though for a while I simply went back to ESET SS v8 as the nagging alerts are controllable. If ESET v10 returns control reasonabley quickly to, at least, advanced users then I will probably return to ESET as I've been using it since v3.

As I have linked to several times in this thread, I am well aware v9.0.377 is available on other sites, but guess what; it still isn't shown on the .co.uk site. If you maintain different sites for different nationalities then please maintain them correctly so that customers can keep abreast of what is going on with new versions.

Edited by Skier

Guest MarcoO

Marcos,

Please read what I have previously written.  The primary reason I have moved away from ESET on my desktop is nothing to do with updates.  Oh, and by the way, I am free to chop and change as I please.  Kaspersky is working fine right now though for a while I simply went back to ESET SS v8 as the nagging alerts are controllable.  If ESET v10 returns control reasonabley quickly to, at least, advanced users then I will probably return to ESET as I've been using it since v3.

As I have linked to several times in this thread, I am well aware v9.0.377 is available on other sites, but guess what; it still isn't shown on the .co.uk site.  If you maintain different sites for different nationalities then please maintain them correctly so that customers can keep abreast of what is going on with new versions.

Hello Skier,

did you try a clean reinstall of ESET ? Because I don't have those problems. Please read carefully, I said the things about your move and not Marcos .

• 2 weeks later...

The issue with version numbering on the website has been reported to the UK department who is responsible for their local website.

As for the built-in program update function, it works for me and shows v9.0.375 as the most current which is in fact the latest one available as a uPCU (micro program component update). There will always be some gap between the release of installers and the time when that version becomes available as a uPCU.

Well, the UK 'department' either didn't receive the e-mail, don't care or are incompetent because as of 2 minutes before writing this the version shown is still v9.0.375.