BTW; Why aren't you using IIS?

It doesn't even seem like ESET support even likes Apache or Tomcat yet you guys are using it?  Why not leverage IIS since it comes with Windows?

It's such a pain to use a wildcard cert for the web console with these third party HTTP servers.  I could get it done in a few clicks within IIS.  Since you guys are using Apache and Tomcat, I have to muck around with Java SDK's and other non-sense.

Not here to defend ESET but you can try to setup JSP on IIS and deploy era.war file yourself. Then you'll see why it's easier to just include a pre-configured Tomcat in the distribution.

It doesn't even seem like ESET support even likes Apache or Tomcat yet you guys are using it?  Why not leverage IIS since it comes with Windows?

It's such a pain to use a wildcard cert for the web console with these third party HTTP servers.  I could get it done in a few clicks within IIS.  Since you guys are using Apache and Tomcat, I have to muck around with Java SDK's and other non-sense.

Support guys on this forum do understand Apache and Tomcat, so they can help you. The only problem they still have is documentation. Why don't you use their virtual appliance?

Support guys on this forum do understand Apache and Tomcat, so they can help you. The only problem they still have is documentation. Why don't you use their virtual appliance?

I was specifically told by ESET support most people don't have any luck using the appliance and they'd recommend using a Windows install.  That's what I'm trying to get at..  Why have it if you are going to tell customers to avoid it.  Clearly they have issues with that software.

Also, you don't code because it's easy.  Your products should be easy for the customer, not the programmers.  So I have a problem with "you try coding JSP on IIS".  That's not my problem IMO.

Edited by cpetry

I was specifically told by ESET support most people don't have any luck using the appliance and they'd recommend using a Windows install.  That's what I'm trying to get at..  Why have it if you are going to tell customers to avoid it.  Clearly they have issues with that software.

Their problem is with their software, surely not with Apache and Tomcat.

If you're deliverying a Java-based application, it makes sense to use Tomcat rather than IIS. The same as you probably would use Apache if you were using plain HTML. The same as if you were developing an ASP application you'd probably use IIS as opposed to using Apache-ASP.

Horses for courses.

That's fine.  I'll just have ESET engineering WebEx in and configure my wildcard godaddy cert with my web console since they know it so well.  They should have no problem doing that since they love Apache/Tomcat so much.

• ESET Moderators

I was specifically told by ESET support most people don't have any luck using the appliance and they'd recommend using a Windows install.  That's what I'm trying to get at..  Why have it if you are going to tell customers to avoid it.

Hello,

This is definitely not our statement and/or attitude towards this product/situation.

Could you please specify who told you this information and what might be the reason?

Thank you,

T.

I was specifically told by ESET support most people don't have any luck using the appliance and they'd recommend using a Windows install.  That's what I'm trying to get at..  Why have it if you are going to tell customers to avoid it.

Hello,

This is definitely not our statement and/or attitude towards this product/situation.

Could you please specify who told you this information and what might be the reason?

Thank you,

T.

Sam didn't tell me to avoid the appliance but when calling support in the past I've been told a lot of people didn't have much "luck" as they put it, using the appliance.  Sam did say he prefers the Windows based installation.  I can see why after using the AGENT/Endpoint mirror "trick" to create an update mirror/cache on the network.  Not sure I could have done that with the appliance. 

Hello,

Thank you,

T.

Sam didn't tell me to avoid the appliance but when calling support in the past I've been told a lot of people didn't have much "luck" as they put it, using the appliance.  Sam did say he prefers the Windows based installation.  I can see why after using the AGENT/Endpoint mirror "trick" to create an update mirror/cache on the network.  Not sure I could have done that with the appliance. 

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/63/en-US/?mirror_tool_linux.htm

Hello,

Thank you,

T.

Yeah, I knew about that.  I consider it a half measure.  Really this function should have never been pulled from ERA itself.  I can understand why you did if most of your customers are smaller. 

Hello,

Thank you,

T.

Yeah, I knew about that.  I consider it a half measure.  Really this function should have never been pulled from ERA itself.  I can understand why you did if most of your customers are smaller. 

We are small...130 workstations, but we use v5. v6 is on test.

However I trust them when they say v5 mirror feature had problems with larger networks.

Edited by bbahes

We are small...130 workstations, but we use v5. v6 is on test.

However I trust them when they say v5 mirror feature had problems with larger networks.

We have 1,650 clients, or around that, and we never had an issue with it.  We had every system reporting back to a single ERA 5.X server. 

We are about ready to perform a brief test of 6.3 and roll it out.  We've been on 4.5/5.0 for years.  I've seen too many file coders hit us so we are upgrading to Endpoint Security.