Outlook 2013 stuck at "Updating inbox"

dethangel

Has anyone encountered the above issue?

I've recently deployed Endpoint Security and my clients are giving the feedback they're not receiving mails once the client is installed.

I've verified mail is coming in through the web login.

They're using Office 365 with Outlook 2013 - mailbox sizes ranging from 20-40GB.

HIPS has been turned off.

Appreciate some assistance on this matter.

• ESET Staff

Hi @dethangel,

I see 22 people read your thread and have no answer, and some hour pass...

I suggest you contact your local distributor of ESET in your country, or the

partner who sell the license to you.

I don't have an answer to your problem so I cannot help you to solve the problem.

Has anyone encountered the above issue?

I've recently deployed Endpoint Security and my clients are giving the feedback they're not receiving mails once the client is installed.

I've verified mail is coming in through the web login.

They're using Office 365 with Outlook 2013 - mailbox sizes ranging from 20-40GB.

HIPS has been turned off.

Appreciate some assistance on this matter.

We don't use Exchange and Endpoint Security, but sometime ago we had same problem with "not receiving emails". In our case it was Intrusion Prevention System on router that blocked connections to mail server, based on policy he updates daily. Did you try disabling EES and see if then works? Also if you use ERA, check that policy on personal firewall is set to automatic, otherwise you will have to enter rules for Exchange to pass through firewall. You might want to run Wireshark to see if connection is really made.

We had a similar issue when rolled out ESET a couple of weeks ago. It affected about 3% of clients. We found it was due to corruption in the .ost file, scanpst did not manage to repair so we had to re-create the .ost.

We are using o365 with outlook 2010

We don't know if the initial eset scan caused the issue or exaggerated an existing condition that up that point was not causing a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue. I have found that doing the online repair of outlook fixes the issue most of the time. One PC, I had to turn off the Personal Firewall for it to synchronize though.

• 1 month later...

We have the same issue. Exchange 2016 servers, migrated from Kaspersky to EAV 6.3 (about 300 computers). And on 3 of them new e-mails stopped coming (Updating Inbox).

1. On 1 PC: Outlook 2010 x86 installed (Windows 7 x64). I deleted Outlook profile, and re-download mail from server. New messages appeared. About 3 hours later, same computer, new messages stopped coming again.

After installing Outlook 2013 x64 and updating, mail started working normally.

2. On two other PCs (Outlook 2013 x86, Windows 7 x64/Windows 10 x64) also stopped coming mail. Restart of computer didn't help. After disabling Outlook ESET add-in, new messages came.

Yes, 3 PCs from 300 - is not a big percent, but unfortunately it was computers of top management (big mailboxes 10-15 GB) and we temporary disabled ESET Outlook add-in for all.

• Administrators

We have the same issue. Exchange 2016 servers, migrated from Kaspersky to EAV 6.3 (about 300 computers). And on 3 of them new e-mails stopped coming (Updating Inbox).

1. On 1 PC: Outlook 2010 x86 installed (Windows 7 x64). I deleted Outlook profile, and re-download mail from server. New messages appeared. About 3 hours later, same computer, new messages stopped coming again.

After installing Outlook 2013 x64 and updating, mail started working normally.

2. On two other PCs (Outlook 2013 x86, Windows 7 x64/Windows 10 x64) also stopped coming mail. Restart of computer didn't help. After disabling Outlook ESET add-in, new messages came.

Yes, 3 PCs from 300 - is not a big percent, but unfortunately it was computers of top management (big mailboxes 10-15 GB) and we temporary disabled ESET Outlook add-in for all.

I'll send you a pm with further instructions for troubleshooting in a few moments.

• 4 weeks later...

We have the same issue.

Office365 hosted email. Deployed ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.4.2014.0 via ERA

On 5 or so computers e-mails stopped coming (Updating Inbox or Updating Headers).

Outlook 2013 x86 installed on (Windows 7 x64).

I deleted Outlook profiles, and re-download mail from server. New messages appeared. Still to find out if it will happen again... 

If this is related to the deployment please let me know...

It looks like the key is to wait until the ENTIRE mailbox syncs again... just wait. A couple of reboots after the initial activation and virus definition updates. Then open Outlook and leave it overnight if user's mailbox is big. After the long background sync it resolves itself (at least this worked with 5 users that we initially had a problem with)

• Administrators

Just out of curiosity, approximately how many emails are directly in inbox (ie. not in subfolders)? After installation, the whole inbox is scanned with the exception of subfolders so if there are thousands of emails (especially with attachments) in inbox it may take time to scan them all.

A bit over 11K emails and majority with attachments. Took a few hours to finish (Updating Inbox changed to All Folders Up to Date) and email started flowing again.

11k emails? Blimey, never heard of subfolders? :-)

we encourage our users to ONLY have things in their "inbox" that they are working on. So at most, maybe 20-30 emails. Everything else is in subfolders. We have users with 100k emails, but only 20-30 in Inbox and none in Sent (they file them too).