Anti-Theft Operation + Guest Account?

Hey everyone,

I just have a query about the Anti-Theft option. It flags up an issue in the Web Console about not all accounts having a password. I only have an Administrator and a Guest account (so indeed, I'm a naughty fellow for always using an Admin enabled account, I will change my ways eventually).

The admin account is password protected and doesn't auto-login, the Guest account has no password. Apparently the Web Console will still insist on having the Guest account with a password; will this cause issues with Guest access across a local area network?

And how does this affect stolen Laptop usage? If the laptop is already on, logged in but on a locked screen, then unless the Thief can find a WiFi connection with no Cloud Login or WPA, then how can the Laptop connect to the Internet in the background to communicate it's location, or recieve an update from ESET Servers to say it's now stolen?

Alternatively, if it's shutdown when stolen; when the Thief boots it up, they won't be able to log into any accounts, and the Phantom account won't be able to appear due to no cue from the Internet, right?

I've just considered a LAN Cable would circumvent such wireless issues, but it's still a little bit of a stretch.

Let's face it, I must be misunderstanding something, because the below quote from the Anti-Theft help page doesn't really make sense to me either.

• When the missing computer or device goes online (How?), ESET Smart Security or ESET Mobile Security will record information on regular intervals. This data can be viewed in the Activity tab.
• The missing device will automatically restart within few minutes of going online (Restarting to engage the Phantom account it seems, after receiving a cue from ESET Servers - I can understand ESET Services will run in the background before any Login is successful).
• If a Phantom Account exists, the device will use this account as the default account and automatically log into it. This prevents people from logging into other user accounts or accessing user data (I'm asked to lock them all with a password anyway!?).

It more and more comes across as; this can only work in it's entirety if someone steals your laptop while you're logged in with no lock screen, so when it's completely open.

Sorry for being so dim about this, I appreciate your support in explaining this feature!

- Nelafanji

Aye, strange that.

I thought displaying humiliation by highlighting my own lack of understanding would entice some one to explain the feature and impress upon me. But a las, every one here is just too modest and have chosen not to demolish me metaphorically speaking in a social establishment such as a public Forum. You're all too kind :)

I now operate my Laptop with Truecrypt full disk encryption, so the Anti-Theft is partly redundant now anyway (since it's never going to work if my Laptop is stolen whilst powered off, or in hibernation, obviously).

But thank you for reading and having potentially contemplated the dilemna I set forth.

/Thread resurrect

• 1 month later...

I accidentally recorded my laptop as missing due to suspicious activity since last week, when the phantom account kicked in and since have reported is not missing, but, I still cannot access my normal password protected account and guest account. I am stuck and have had no support from Eset even though calling them and was told to send an email, so that someone from Eset can access my system remotely and fix this issue. This has not happened to date.

Extremely frustrating. I cannot access my files, folders, admin access to do anything. Wonder if someone from Eset monitors this forum and provides guidance and support.