ESET Installer from ERA Server

kit

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

When deploying ESET Endpoint Security, is it possible for the client to pull the ESET installer from the ERA Server rather than having it download directly from ESET's servers? We are experiencing some pretty inconsistent download speeds from ESET's servers. Sometimes it will only take a 3-4 minutes for the client to download, other times it can take 30-45 minutes. If the installer can be downloaded to the ERA Server ahead of time and pulled during a deployment, this would save an enormous amount of time when deploying.

Edited by kit

• Administrators
  • Solution

If you use an HTTP proxy (e.g. Apache HTTP Proxy bundled with the ERA 6 All-in-one installer), it will cache downloaded installers so clients will download it only once if already cached.

Of course, you can specify path to a network share when creating a software install task (see the online help for the appropriate ERA console page).

Hi Marcos,

Thank you for the help. I configured an HTTP Proxy and can see that systems are reaching out to the proxy on the ERA Server for updates. However, when deploying ESET Endpoint Security to some new systems, I noticed the Apache HTTP Proxy was reaching back out to ESET's servers to download the installer instead of using the installer cached from a previous deployment. See the screenshot below. Is this normal?

post-6314-0-98599700-1459972365_thumb.png

• ESET Staff

HTTP Proxy will be re-validating cached resource each time client connects -> HEAD request to ESET repositories will be created. In case there will be no file changes detected, no data downloading from ESET servers should proceed and client should receive data from HTTP Proxy cache.

Thanks MartinK. After a few more deployments, I can see that the HTTP Proxy cache is working correctly. As you said, the connection I saw previously to ESET's servers must've been ERA re-validating that files that were already cached.