Virus Scan Wont Work??

hentaixen

• ESET Insiders

Hello hentaixen,

Judging from your attached screen capture, you have nothing to worry about and NOD32 is scanning normally. The "error opening" that you are seeing in the log are all files that are locked by the operating system and therefore cannot be scanned. This is normal, ESET is one of the few (if not the only) AV that list these files in the log so most people are not used to seeing this. No AV can scan a file that is being locked by the operating system. As long as the scan is finishing and showing no infected/cleaned files, you are OK. Do not worry.

The problem is the virus scan finishes in 44 seconds, it normally takes about 10 - 15 minutes, so I have a feeling that it is not actually scanning?

Thank you for the reply.

• ESET Insiders

Hello hentaixen,

The screenshot you posted only shows the very beginning of that scan log. Could you please post another screenshot of that log where you have scrolled down to the end of the log (where it shows the scan results). This will give more information as to what the scan actually did. Thanks...

Edited by puff-m-d

Thank you for the help.

I created an imgur album of the entire log, it is 6 screen shots.

hxxp://imgur.com/a/4iv75

I keep seeing "amd" in some of these log entries but I am using an Intel CPU, and a Nvidia GFX card I have no idea why AMD is showing up?

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

From your scan log, the operating memory, C drive and boot sector are being scanned. A total of 144143 files are being scanned in 41 seconds. The number of files seems a bit low as does the scan speed seems abnormally fast. Are you scanning with a default scan profile or have you set up a custom profile? The only reason I can think of is a custom scan profile is being used. You can set the scan to default if you wish by going to advanced settings > computer > antivirus and antispyware > on-demand computer scan, selecting which profile you use then selecting threatsense engine parameter setup and clicking on default. Other than this I do not know.

The amd files you see are part of windows and are present whether your system actually are using them or not.

If this does not help you, then hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge than me (or someone from ESET) will be along and help you further. I wish I could have been of more help.

I was using the feature "smart scan" which never had this problem before. I tried doing a custom scan and checked all of the boxes but I am having the same problem :(

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

It just seems that not enough files are being scanned (IMHO) and what is being scanned is being done in an extremely short period of time (again IMHO). I am sorry that I can not offer any more advice on this issue but I am sure either someone more knowledgeable or from ESET will come along soon with help. Just have a bit of patience as most of the ESET staff will not be back for about 8 to 10 hours or so. I am confident that they will solve your issue.

Thank you for the response. How do I enable logging of all files? I did a Google search and nothing came up.

Do I go    Setup -->  Enter Advanced Setup -->  Tools  -->  Log Files  ->  Change "minimum logging verbosity" to "diagnostic"?

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

Go to advanced settings > computer > antivirus and antispyware > on-demand computer scan, selecting which profile you use then selecting threatsense engine parameter setup > other and then check "log all objects".

post-1033-0-39079400-1377116662_thumb.png

Edited by puff-m-d

Thank you for the help everyone.

I just installed Nod32 on my laptop, it was working fine, and then after installing the latest patch it now mimics the same problem that my desktop is having where the scan went from being 20 minutes to about 40 seconds. Is there something wrong with this latest update?

Did you update a VSD or was it a program component update?

VSD's will not affect the scanner or nod32 engine, they are simply an update to the definitions or ( encyclopedia database ) of what nod32 can catch. AFAIK

This to me seems like your either not scanning the right partition of windows, or maybe you do have some form of virus that is effecting the scan.

You should be seeing program files directories and a whole bunch of other directories in your scan logs, you do not, maybe your scanning a reserved partition or your recovery part.

Maybe OS is installed on D:\ ?? please check with the below instructions :

If you click on start > search and type in %windir% or run and then type %windir% does it pull up a folder within C:\  across your address bar up top ?

Please reply back.

It shows 2 folders titled "Windows" they are located in C:/  -  I tried doing a deep scan, I also tried doing a custom scan where I check marked everything, I am beginning to think I have a virus.

Edited by hentaixen

Hentaixen,

Would you be able to upload a screen shot of your C:\  including the folders and files at the root

Before doing so, please proceed to Control Panel > Folder Options > View Tab

Check the following:

-Show hidden files and folders + drives

Uncheck the following:

-Hide empty drives in the computer folder

-Hide extensions for known file types

-Hide protected Operating system files

After you have taken your picture, please revert all these changes. Thank you.

If you dont have a screen shot program, a simple print screen-"Prt Scr" button and Control+V into mspaint.exe will suffice.

Edited by Arakasi

Awesome, thanks for your screens.

Everything looks normal from those shots.

Would you be willing to submit 1 more of the following windows of your screen as my picture below.

I would like to compare the permissions on esets engine as well as the permissions on the root of C:

Properties of C: by right clicking and also of ekrn.exe located in program files\Eset\

Compare the groups against mine as well as the ACL's / Permissions

Particularly SYSTEM for ekrn (my pic didnt have System selected :() and Administrators and Authenticated Users for c:

Edit: Your Drive is pretty full :o

If you dont see a Security Tab, you can enabled it by going to Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab - clear Use simple file sharing [Recommended].(Windows XP)

post-1101-0-52571400-1377139584_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arakasi

IF after this, we dont see any issues.

Its going to be 100% either an issue with the gui or scanner, and/or the selection of files to be scanned.

Or you may have some form of malware interfering.

I am sure we could get to the bottom of it using Sysinspector and investigating Eset software.

sys.log would be next to look at.

Not sure if you can see it alright in these screens but everything is check marked except for the thing on the very bottom for both

hxxp://i.imgur.com/J36tKTZ.jpg

hxxp://i.imgur.com/V6IRxTN.jpg

Social Permissions is not check marked for neither Allow or Deny

Edited by hentaixen

About to sleep for the night.

Here is my last bit of info in advanced.

If you select SYSTEM from your picture above of C: and down below you do not see " Full Control " with a check under "Allow"

or if you select Administrators (AllAbord-PC\Administrators) and down below you do not see " Full Control " with a check under "Allow"

You have some serious permission problems on your C: drive --- ekrn.exe looked good having Full control under SYSTEM

This could have been done by virus or similar.

If your permissions are faulty, i will assist in repairing.

If they are OK and normal. Problem may exist with Eset software, or a configuration of your scanner settings. :)

Not sure if you can see it alright in these screens but everything is check marked except for the thing on the very bottom for both

hxxp://i.imgur.com/J36tKTZ.jpg

hxxp://i.imgur.com/V6IRxTN.jpg

Social Permissions is not check marked for neither Allow or Deny

Everything looks good hentaixen :D

Your scanning troubles are going to be with Eset scanning configuration or possibly a setting somewhere in the interface.

Logged in user permissions are good, esets permissions are good.

In my attached picture, make sure everything looks the same on yours.

Also make sure all your folders are checked.

And open the Setup button on the right marked in red.

Go through all those options and make sure everything is checked right and nothing is wrong.

post-1101-0-64682900-1377148515_thumb.jpg

Just did the scan again, here is a screen shot. Looks like the time went up to about four and a half minutes.

When I clicked setup, under "Objects" I check marked "Email Files" and under "Other" I checkmarked "Preserve Last Access Timestamp",   everything else was already checkmarked.

I looked at an old scan I had from a month ago and it took 10 minutes 51 seconds to scan 276152 files. I wonder if some sort of windows file is throwing this off, maybe a paging file?

Have a good night.

post-1502-0-76386300-1377150383_thumb.jpg