No Green Border or 'Protected by ESET' for Banking & Payment Protection

Go to solution Solved by foneil,

• ESET Moderators

Where do you get the 9.0.377.1 version?

You should be able to install the .377.1 version from the Live Installer hxxp://download.eset.com/special/live-installer/eset_smart_security_live_installer.exeor with the offline installers (select language from the portlet on the left of the KB) by selecting the "Install newer version" check box. 

Uninstall version 375.1 and install version 377.1 yesterday and after that everything was ok.

Today after start the PC no green border again.

My question is: Am i protected without green border?

If it helps:

Windows10 home version-64bits-IE11-Portuguese language

Edited by carmor

despues de instalar la nueva version me salio el borde verde en la proteccion banco pero al dia siguiente ya no sale estoy protegido en la web banco o no

Where do you get the 9.0.377.1 version?

You should be able to install the .377.1 version from the Live Installer hxxp://download.eset.com/special/live-installer/eset_smart_security_live_installer.exeor with the offline installers (select language from the portlet on the left of the KB) by selecting the "Install newer version" check box. 

Fer, will it eventually be available via the gui? Also can it be overlaid? I'm sure inquiring minds want to know.

• ESET Moderators

@TomFace I'm not the best person to answer those questions -- but I think we can determine the availability and functionality for the next 1 1/2 years by looking at the upcoming Betas and how BPP works there hxxp://www.eset.com/int/beta/edition2017/ 

Regarding the main OPP from @carmor

this is a question I am very interested in as well, but unfortunately there are not quick answers to it. As other threads have illustrated, there are other reasons beyond ESET's control that can affect the "green border" and perhaps BPP altogether (such as browser plug-ins, OS, processes, etc.) and while we can confidently say that if you see the green border you are protected, without looking at other logs/processes etc., I don't think we (but this is just my opinion, not official ESET statement) would be able to have such confidence if the green border is missing, simply because we can't say for sure for your system and installation. I am working on a Knowledgebase article that has some methods for testing whether the protection is working, green border or not, and I hope that will help users answer some of these questions. 

Fer

@TomFace I'm not the best person to answer those questions -- but I think we can determine the availability and functionality for the next 1 1/2 years by looking at the upcoming Betas and how BPP works there hxxp://www.eset.com/int/beta/edition2017/ 

Fer...it's not a good link.

post-556-0-59212300-1461945411_thumb.jpg

I think eset should worry about it because otherwise there is a risk that customers lose confidence in the product. This is a very delicate matter involves banking transactions with sensitive data

• ESET Staff

Hi,

I made some test always using the BPP icon on Desktop.

Desktop

Windows 10 x 64 with Edge and ESET 9.0.375.1.(x64)
(eset-v9-edge-bpp-on-win10x64.png)

post-8091-0-80738600-1461959283_thumb.png

Note: on Edge, the taskbar shows the BPP icon instead of the "E" of Edge.

Mini-Laptop

Windows 10 x 64 with Internet Explorer and ESET 9.0.375.1.(x64)

(esetv9x64-win10x64-ie-bpp-on20160429.png)

post-8091-0-26121300-1461959326_thumb.png

For better view of the green border, don't maximize the window.

Update: Green border on Windows 10 x32 bits, with Edge (Netbook).

All gear is with Intel processors.

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

As Gonzalo I decided to do some experiments.

My results are:

1- I turn on desktop and there was no GreenBorder.
2- Marked Edge as default browser (before was IE) and GreenBorder appeared again (both IE and edge) without restart the PC.
3- I turn off desktop (not restart) start and no green border again.

Question: When i start BPP in edge or IE it always open in IE. Its normal? Don't work on edge?

My system is a normal one, without tweacks like ccleaner and things like that

Regards

Carlos

Edited by carmor

• ESET Staff

Ok, got it now.

According with my tests, BPP works in Edge.

Seems to be you can activate the protection but when Windows load,

the BPP can't be loaded.

So the workaround seems to be "change the default browser in Windows 10,

don't reboot and use it".

But I suggest to wait for the knowledge article to check if protection is active.

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

Ok, got it now.

According with my tests, BPP works in Edge.

Seems to be you can activate the protection but when Windows load,

the BPP can't be loaded.

So the workaround seems to be "change the default browser in Windows 10,

don't reboot and use it".

But I suggest to wait for the knowledge article to check if protection is active.

Perhaps i don't explain very well.

My BPP also Works in edge, but when the secure page open it open in IE11.

I've look your other post with atached images and you have the same. The 2 pages are IE11 pages or not?

Also if i open through the BPP shortcut it opens an IE11 page and i have edge as default browser.

I found the answer: edge is not suported:

hxxp://support.eset.com/KB5657/?locale=en_EN&segment=home

Edited by carmor

this is a question I am very interested in as well, but unfortunately there are not quick answers to it. As other threads have illustrated, there are other reasons beyond ESET's control that can affect the "green border" and perhaps BPP altogether (such as browser plug-ins, OS, processes, etc.) and while we can confidently say that if you see the green border you are protected, without looking at other logs/processes etc., I don't think we (but this is just my opinion, not official ESET statement) would be able to have such confidence if the green border is missing, simply because we can't say for sure for your system and installation. I am working on a Knowledgebase article that has some methods for testing whether the protection is working, green border or not, and I hope that will help users answer some of these questions. 

Fer

Hello,

Some News?

Regards

• ESET Moderators

Fer

Hello,

Some News?

Regards

Sorry, nothing yet -- my KB colleague (@marty_c) did make a new how-to video for adding new banking sites to the secured browser (it should be available soon in the ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9.x playlist). For the article I have in progress that addresses this thread's issue, I do not have the technical ability nor authority to publish content related to this without SME (subject matter expert) review, and that has not occurred yet. No ETA at the moment either unfortunately. 

Fer

Fer

Hello,

Some News?

Regards

Sorry, nothing yet -- my KB colleague (@marty_c) did make a new how-to video for adding new banking sites to the secured browser (it should be available soon in the ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9.x playlist). For the article I have in progress that addresses this thread's issue, I do not have the technical ability nor authority to publish content related to this without SME (subject matter expert) review, and that has not occurred yet. No ETA at the moment either unfortunately. 

Fer

Ok,

Thanks

• ESET Moderators
  • Solution

I recently noticed that the Banking & Payment Protection isn't showing a green border or the 'Protected by ESET' banner on the top of Google Chrome (64-bit) version 49.0.2623.110 on Windows 10. Using regular updates on ESS 9.0.375.0.

It still opens the window (either manually from the Start Menu or automatically redirected) and shows the special ESET page, and previously it usually doesn't show the green border, but I've never had the 'Protected by ESET' banner not appear before.

Is this happening to anyone else?

I am going back to the OP here because I think that the latest BPP module update resolves this issue (the green border showing in Windows 10 after restart). 

RELEASE: Banking & payment protection module 1065

Changelog:

-Do not redirect url to Secured Browser if referer was not redirected

-Fixed issue with "Protected Browser Green Frame" after Fast Startup on Windows 10