Cannot uninstall remote agent

Go to solution Solved by Mherwa,

we install the remote administrator agent through a gpo, and it works on all systems except one. So I decided

to uninstall the agent, but for some reason I'm not able to do this with any of the administrator account (local or

domain). We get the error message "You are not a local administrator. Therefore you are not allowed to modify

this product.". The pc has win 7 sp1 and all updates installed, on a different pc, same config and OS we can

manually uninstall the agent.

Anyone else had this happen and has a solution ?

TIA,

Martin

• Administrators

Is an ESET Endpoint product installed on the machine? If so, Self-defense is protecting agent from being uninstalled or stopped.

Is an ESET Endpoint product installed on the machine? If so, Self-defense is protecting agent from being uninstalled or stopped.

hi:

I am testing ERA6 now with two PC and one server. so I install/uninstall agent/endpoint many times.  quite often the agent refuse to uninstall because it can not stop the service. I must set the agent service as a "stopped" service and reboot, then I can uninstall the agent. it seems not related to endpoint installed or not.  I just uninstall an agent with endpoint installed smoothly. if you need more info for testing, please tell me. I am always doing  install/uninstall these days.

The service cannot start at all, so that's not the problem in my case. It seems that the installation is corrupt, as the service won't start at all, and

reports 'The remote server is disconnected or being restarted' in the eventlog (event ID 7024).

Edited by Mherwa

hi:

if I want to uninstall agent at windows with UAC enabled via control panel, it will pop the message below. (although this message is unrelated to success/failure of uninstall).

endpoint product is fine with UAC.

post-4997-0-41519100-1459405204_thumb.png

• Solution

Hello Tomas,

the manual uninstall worked, the agent is now fully uninstalled using the provided instructions. Only now the reinstall of the agent fails.

When I get to the screen where you can select a cluster installation and press next then nothing happens, the setup stays at the same

screen. I do the installation by using a msi file + transform file, the same one we use for our gpo. I used the same command I used on

a different workstation which worked fine.

@tbsky my issue was completely different as to no matter what account was used or uac enabled/disabled the installation couldn't

​be modified due to corruption.

​Martin

@Mherwa

yes I know my problem is different than yours. but since it is also related to agent uninstall so I think maybe I should put them here. and I think you will meet the same problem soon if you install/uninstall many times.

in fact I got into similar situation like your case once. one time the uninstall process was unsuccessful and I lost patience so I just reboot. after reboot the agent disappear from the control panel program list, but the dead body still exist in c:\program files and in windows registry. I try to reinstall agent but it refuse to install. I tried to delete agent body from c:\program files and delete Eset windows registry. agent still refuse to install. after several reboot and try I think since it can not work, I should make a installation log so I can check what happened. but then unfortunately(or fortunately?) agent install success, so I didn't know what happened. maybe you can try command like below to make a log, to see if you can find out what happened in the  %temp%\eset-agent-install.log?

msiexec  /l*v %temp%\eset-agent-install.log Agent_x64.msi

There could be a rogue agent reg key causing the install to fail:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\ 

Then search for: ESET Remote Adminsitrator Agent
The identifier is different per machine

DELETE THE WHOLE KEY AND THEN install again.  

Unfortunately the install log doesn't show anything usefull, it just stops, no error messages.

@tmuster2k All the reg keys are gone, windows installer also sees it as a firsttime install.