newbie question paid antivirus vs free

• Most Valued Members

Thanks Planet, I looked at a bunch of AV's like Avira, Bitdefender along with ESET as some of the reviews I read say that Avira and Bitdefender scored high.

I am still leaning towards ESET, but do you feel Avira is a better choice over Sophos Home?

Sophos have been creating their security solution for a long time now, and is the go-to product for Mac users who want free protection because of how simple, lightweight and reliable it is. Avira doesn't have that same 'recommendation', but it could good - I personally haven't tried it on OS X.

I have 13 days left on my ESET trial.

The only thing that bothers me is the 15000 messages ESET reported on gmail for the Pharmacy.A

This only happened when I rebuilt the mail index.

• Most Valued Members

There are some phishing/unwanted emails on your Gmail that ESET keeps detecting but Mail.app keeps redownloading it from Gmail. I would either go into gmail.com and manually delete the detected email(s) and empty them from the bin so Mail.app stops redownloading it, or you can set an exclusion like we did with Time Machine for your email so ESET stops detecting it. This would be an exclusion for '/Users/(username)/Library/Mail/', replacing (username) with your user folder name.