computer name is ip address

Go to solution Solved by MartinK,

hi:

I am trying to install era6 agent at test pc.i try to use server-assisted & live agent installation. but the windows pc name shows as ip address in the "lost & found", not host name. in ERA5 the pc name is hostname.

is this behavior normal?

thanks for confirm.

• ESET Staff

What I would recommend is to wait until the automatic "computer rename task" (renaming the computer to full FQDN) is executed. Then it should report the correct name (task should be executed every hour). If not, please run the task manually.

What I would recommend is to wait until the automatic "computer rename task" (renaming the computer to full FQDN) is executed. Then it should report the correct name (task should be executed every hour). If not, please run the task manually.

hi:

try to run the task manually but I can not see whether the task is running. and the computer name is still ip address. I test delete/install the agent  many times. I remember at some point I could see the hostname as pc name. but now I think my era server is broken. I will try to reinstall it. I am using rhel 7.2 and mariadb. I see some forum posts indicate that era server may have problem with mariadb. if I fall back to mysql, what version would Eset recommend?  5.5 or 5.6 or 5.7?

thanks a lot for confirm.

• ESET Staff

hi:

try to run the task manually but I can not see whether the task is running. and the computer name is still ip address. I test delete/install the agent  many times. I remember at some point I could see the hostname as pc name. but now I think my era server is broken. I will try to reinstall it. I am using rhel 7.2 and mariadb. I see some forum posts indicate that era server may have problem with mariadb. if I fall back to mysql, what version would Eset recommend?  5.5 or 5.6 or 5.7?

You did not mention ERA version, but In case computer is name IP address, it means there is something wrong with reverse DNS resolving. Mentioned renaming task will rename computer to name it is reporting, therefore this client must be successfully connecting and reporting required values. In your case this is probably not working due to MariaDB (you can check client details whether you see anything in section "Device identifiers").

Recommended database in  this case would be MySQL 5.6 (current versions of MySQL 5.7 has bugs that are affecting certain ERA functionality and may cause problems).

• ESET Staff

Hello, MariaDB is not supported. You have to use MySQL on Linux, concerning the compatibility please consult the product manual. However you shoul use at least version 5.6.

Isn't this enough to rename computer in ERAv6?

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3717/?locale=en_US

• ESET Staff

Isn't this enough to rename computer in ERAv6?

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3717/?locale=en_US

Yes, you can of course rename computer manually and results are the same.

hi:

You did not mention ERA version, but In case computer is name IP address, it means there is something wrong with reverse DNS resolving. Mentioned renaming task will rename computer to name it is reporting, therefore this client must be successfully connecting and reporting required values. In your case this is probably not working due to MariaDB (you can check client details whether you see anything in section "Device identifiers").

Recommended database in  this case would be MySQL 5.6 (current versions of MySQL 5.7 has bugs that are affecting certain ERA functionality and may cause problems).

I am using ERA 6.3.148.0

you mean I need reverse dns resolving to transfer computer ip to computer name? I don't get it. why not just use computer name like version 5. agent should find out this easily. we don't have reverse dns resolving for internal pc. I think I  don't understand the design logic of version 6. there must be some important reasons I am missing.

Edited by tbsky

hi:

after testing I found two things.

1. I install mysql 5.6 to replace mariadb 5.5.  and now the "computer rename task" did run every hours. with mariadb 5.5 it seldom runs.

with mariadb 5.5 there are many strange behaviors, I will create another thread to discuss it.

2. it seems I don't need reverse dns resolving. agent find out computer name, and "computer rename task" use that name to replace ip address. I just don't understand why not use the computer name at first place? maybe ip address is a better choice to prevent conflicting at first place? but if client comes in with network nat, ip address will still conflict?

hi:

after testing I found two things.

1. I install mysql 5.6 to replace mariadb 5.5.  and now the "computer rename task" did run every hours. with mariadb 5.5 it seldom runs.

with mariadb 5.5 there are many strange behaviors, I will create another thread to discuss it.

2. it seems I don't need reverse dns resolving. agent find out computer name, and "computer rename task" use that name to replace ip address. I just don't understand why not use the computer name at first place? maybe ip address is a better choice to prevent conflicting at first place? but if client comes in with network nat, ip address will still conflict?

I would like to also find out if there is the ability to disable reverse DNS lookups.  I would much rather use the hostname of the device.

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

There is currently no way how to disable reverse-DNS resolving during initial computer creation in Lost&Found group - it is because in moment of creation, there is not yet information about real hostname. I would suggest to modify configuration of pre-installed "Computer rename task" so that it runs more often in case default 60 minutes interval is not sufficient.

We are currently analyzing possible improvements for this issue, so there is chance that it will change in next releases. I would also remind you that hostname provided by AGENT is less reliable and may be spoofed (changed by local admin as he wishes) - therefore I suggest to be careful with renaming task, especially on computer outside of Lost&Found group.

You are right, NAT may cause confusion and you will have multiple computers with the same name (IP address of NAT) until renaming task is executed.

MariaDB is unfortunately not supported - there are differences in DB that causes ERA to silently fail during specific operations which leads to unusable product. Therefore we added in 6.3 installer that will block installation on MariaDB database.

There is currently no way how to disable reverse-DNS resolving during initial computer creation in Lost&Found group - it is because in moment of creation, there is not yet information about real hostname. I would suggest to modify configuration of pre-installed "Computer rename task" so that it runs more often in case default 60 minutes interval is not sufficient.

We are currently analyzing possible improvements for this issue, so there is chance that it will change in next releases. I would also remind you that hostname provided by AGENT is less reliable and may be spoofed (changed by local admin as he wishes) - therefore I suggest to be careful with renaming task, especially on computer outside of Lost&Found group.

You are right, NAT may cause confusion and you will have multiple computers with the same name (IP address of NAT) until renaming task is executed.

MariaDB is unfortunately not supported - there are differences in DB that causes ERA to silently fail during specific operations which leads to unusable product. Therefore we added in 6.3 installer that will block installation on MariaDB database.

Is there a plan to detect and list by netbios/dns name like in v5?

hi:

forgot to mention. I install ERA 6.3 under rhel 7.2 and MariaDB 5.5  about 10 times. every time it is success. so the installer didn't block installation on MariaDB database.

but I really hope Eset can consider make MariaDB work. every major linux distribution ship with MariaDB now. MariaDB is much faster than mysql 5.6 under rhel 7.2. I saw Eset use many store procedures. it seems the trigger of store procedures under MariaDB cause problem.

• ESET Staff

hi:

forgot to mention. I install ERA 6.3 under rhel 7.2 and MariaDB 5.5  about 10 times. every time it is success. so the installer didn't block installation on MariaDB database.

but I really hope Eset can consider make MariaDB work. every major linux distribution ship with MariaDB now. MariaDB is much faster than mysql 5.6 under rhel 7.2. I saw Eset use many store procedures. it seems the trigger of store procedures under MariaDB cause problem.

Seems I made mistake in assumption that detection made it into 6.3 release -> it will be available in upcoming release ...

Main problems with MariaDB seems that many of our stored procedures (especially those focused on data processing performance) are using MySQL internals that does not work on MariaDB. Unfortunately there are currently no plans for support of this type of database, as even in case MariaDB is shipped as default on most of Linux distributions, it is not difficult to install MySQL. Upcoming major release (not 6.3) may introduce changes in DB layer which may be also place for us to evaluate how difficult it would be to support both MySQL and MariaDB with the same set on database layer with focus to performance.

hi:

Seems I made mistake in assumption that detection made it into 6.3 release -> it will be available in upcoming release ...

Main problems with MariaDB seems that many of our stored procedures (especially those focused on data processing performance) are using MySQL internals that does not work on MariaDB. Unfortunately there are currently no plans for support of this type of database, as even in case MariaDB is shipped as default on most of Linux distributions, it is not difficult to install MySQL. Upcoming major release (not 6.3) may introduce changes in DB layer which may be also place for us to evaluate how difficult it would be to support both MySQL and MariaDB with the same set on database layer with focus to performance.

thanks again for your kindly confirm. as you said install MySQL is not so difficult, so I will live with MySQL now. my first priority is to make myself familiar with version 6 logic. hope you guys can make it better soon. I feel the same as many users in the forum: version 6 has great potential. it just need time to make potential become reality.

• ESET Staff

Thank you tbsky. I can assure you, that we are reading every single post, every feedback we get, and we are working  hard, in order to improve the functionality and user experience with ERA 6.

I am looking forward to the release in summer, as I believe, that many of you will be positively surprised by the set of improvements that will be added to this upcoming release (I can´t tell you more details at the moment, as development is still in progress, but I am excited by myself to see the progress).