I reset my Surface Book (again) because none of the apps would update through the Windows 10 Store and none of the workarounds I could find on any forums worked.

Everything started working again. All of my apps updated. I thought I had it fixed.

Installed the latest version of ESET Smart Security. None of my apps would install again. And I got the exact same error as before. 0x80072EFE.

As soon as I clicked uninstall ESET Smart Security and it set it was shutting down the service, all of my apps started downloading and installing. I reinstalled ESET Smart Security. And I am getting the error again. Not one of my apps can be updated nor can anything be installed. Again, I get error 0x80072EFE.

I bet that if I uninstall ESET again, everything will work again.

So what am I supposed to do? Turning off the firewall and even turning off protection do not fix the problem. I literally have to uninstall ESET anytime I want to update or download an app from the Windows Store.

This only recently started happening sometime this month.

Any ideas?

• Administrators

Does the following help?

- restart the computer (do no launch any application)

- open the advanced ESS setup

- disable SSL/TLS scanning and click OK

- enable SSL/TLS scanning and click OK

- try to reproduce the issue.

I can still reproduce the issue even after turning SSL on and off.

It will download a little of an app each time I restart it after it errors out. It will say something like 3.4MB of 6.2MB. But most get stuck on 0.1MB of 0.1MB.

Also, I tried again uninstalling ESET and once again the Windows Store worked flawlessly. I installed ESET again. And the issue returned.

It's weird that it only happens on the Surface Book. And it also happens on my wife's Surface Book. Same behavior. Same error. So it's not just mine.

I cannot reproduce this error on my Ethernet connected desktop running Windows 10 so it looks like it is unique to the Surface Book.

This error also occurs when I connect my Book up to the wifi hotspot on my LTE Android phone. So it doesn't look like my wifi network is the issue.

This is a serious issue considering none of my apps including core ones like Mail can be updated. And you will never notice unless you actively use the Windows Store. My wife hadn't noticed until I checked it this morning to see if her Surface is working the same way.

Good evening,

I have exactly the same problem and the solution proposed by Marcos does not solve the problem.
Best Regards,

Sicilia42
Edited by Sicilia42

I have the same problem.

Had also big problems with certificates of websites, security problems.

Solution for this is what Marcos describes.  

But the Windows Store problems stays the same ...

That are a lot of problems on one day, thinking of changing anti virus software if it doesn't get better ...

Nico

@ Stocklone, Sicilia42 & nicoschoeters :

Please try the following:

1. This part of the manual provides further information on adding certificates:
hxxp://help.eset.com/ess/9/nl-NL/index.html?idh_config_epfw_ssl.htm

There is a link List of known certificates that you can use to add the URL of the website for which you want to add the certificate. In this case the Windows Store. Please try adding the certificate (just add the URL and the certificate will be fetched automatically).

Please let me know if this works, otherwise go to the next step.

2. You can disable SSL (not recommended) or you can activate SSL in Interactive mode:
Setup > Advanced Setup > Web and Mail > SSL/TLS > Enable SSL/TLS protocol filtering > SSL/TLS protocol filtering mode: Interactive mode.

Interactive mode will ask you if you want to allow or block a website. You can allow the websites that are safe and Ignore the websites that are safe but cause problems.

Please let me know if this works.

Hello,

I have just made a test after the Eset Smart Security's last update (update 13223) and apparently, everything seems to be back to normal again.

I was too optimistic because I have just noticed that the problem is present regrettably always.

Thank you.

Sicilia42

Edited by Sicilia42

Hello, I am also having issues with getting apps to update in the Windows Store with error 0x80072EFE. Temporarily disabling the anti-virus and firewall does not work. SSL is OFF on my system and the apps still FAIL to download. The only way to do it is by uninstalling eset completely and then they work just fine. I even tried the Troubleshooting Firewall and unblocked everything it showed listed and still did not work. Very annoying!

Also, the update of eset 9.0.375.0 is blocking my game on Second Life trigging Degrade in Performance which is annoying. It is blocking my WD Cloud Drive on my network, and my printers. Fix This!!!

Currently running 13225

Hello,

I solved the problem by making Eest Smart Security's repair since the Configuration panel. I have the download since Windows Store make a test after the repair and it works perfectly.

Best Regards,

Sicilia42

I've been using ESET for years. Switched countless friends, family and co-workers over to ESET. None of the fixes above worked for me and frankly I shouldn't have to do a workaround with ESET to get the Windows Store to function properly. I switched over to another anti-virus's 30 day trial. Hopefully, you can get it fixed in the next 30 days.

This other anti-virus is not blocking the Windows Store at all. So this is not a Windows 10 issue. This is not a Surface Book issue. This is an ESET issue. Fix it.

I am experiencing the same issue with ESET NOD32 Antivirus V9.0.375.0 on my ultrabook running Windows 10. I upgraded from V8 yesterday and before the upgrade I had no problems. I also bought a license yesterday for my Win 10 desktop and have exactly the same issue. I've tried all the possible fixes found here and on the internet and none have so far worked. I'm quite disappointed with this situation.

ESET Support / R&D, please fix this. Make it the highest possible priority to fix this. I am ready to pull the ESET plug on this...

John

• Administrators

You can temporarily disable SSL/TLS filtering if that really helps while the issue is being investigated. Note that v8 and older versions had SSL scanning disabled by default which is why they may work.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am experiencing this issue, running 10.1.204.0 on Win10. Windows Update works, but the Store does not. Downloads are stuck at a few KB downloaded. 

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, kwchaz said:

I am experiencing this issue, running 10.1.204.0 on Win10. Windows Update works, but the Store does not. Downloads are stuck at a few KB downloaded. 

Does temporarily disabling SSL/TLS filtering make a difference? When re-enabling it, make sure that no browsers or email clients are running. What about switching to pre-release updates in the advanced update setup? Doesn't it make a difference either?

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Does temporarily disabling SSL/TLS filtering make a difference? When re-enabling it, make sure that no browsers or email clients are running. What about switching to pre-release updates in the advanced update setup? Doesn't it make a difference either?

Disabling SSL/TLS filtering doesn't make a difference. I could not find the setting for changing to pre-release updates, despite using search... where exactly is it? 

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, kwchaz said:

Disabling SSL/TLS filtering doesn't make a difference. I could not find the setting for changing to pre-release updates, despite using search... where exactly is it? 

Go into setup - advanced setup - click the update area on the left hand side near the top - should be just under antivirus. Click the + by profiles and the + by basic. You should see a bit with update type and a drop down menu. The pre release option is in there. Press okay and it should be sorted. Then go into the main update area and run an update.