Smart scan said that threats were found but doesn't display them.

Supersnake
Go to solution Solved by Supersnake,

(NOD32 9.0.375.0)

I ran a Smart Scan and the Computer scan window said that 2 threats were found but the window does not display or describe them.  The Computer scan log doesn't display or describe them either.  Version 8 and earlier used to display the threats in red text at the end of the scan log but Version 9 does not.

Computer Scan Window
Scan completed. Threats found
Threat found: 2 (Cleaned: 0)
Virus signature database used: 13205 (2016031)
Show log.

I have my Smart Scan ThreatSense cleaning level set to No Cleaning so that I can decide for myself what action to take. 

How can I take action on the threats if the threats are not listed?

Edited by Supersnake

I want to deal with the two threats found on my latest scan 3/19/2016 - which are probably the same two threats found on my previous scan of 3/15/2016.  There is no way for me to know what these threats are and whether I should delete or ignore them.

First screenshot:

Log files / Detected threats (0)

Second screenshot:

Log files / Computer scan

However when I select Computer Scan it informs me that two threats were found on 3/19/2016 and 3/15/2016.

Third screenshot:

When I hover my cursor over the 3/19/2016 item it displays the same information shown in the second screenshot but in a different format.

Fourth screenshot:

When I right click on the 3/19/2016 item it lists various options. But again the log file does not describe or show the threat, and most importantly does not give me the option to delete or ignore the threat. 

Have pasted the Computer scan log

Still don't know why I can't see the threats or take any action on them like I was able to do in the prior versions of NOD AV

post-7156-0-79038700-1458493328_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-21049500-1458493569_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-83840600-1458493731_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-21366800-1458495024_thumb.jpg

Computer scan.txt

Edited by Supersnake

• Administrators

Does disabling "Require full admin. rights for limited administrator accounts" option under User interface -> Access setup make a difference?

Hello, the log you supplied indeed show 2 threats found with their names under PUA category.

Thanks Toxinon.   When I performed keyword searches in the log I looked for "threat", "virus", and "trojan" and came up with nothing.  Hadn't thought of searching for "Potential". 

I later discovered if I had right clicked on the scan finding and selected "Show", it would display the following information in the Show window. --> Note that it reads"action selection postponed until scan completion"

D:\Backup Programs\BulletsPassView\BulletsPassView.exe - a variant of Win32/PSWTool.BulletsPassView.C potentially unsafe application - action selection postponed until scan completion

D:\Backup Programs\CC Cleaner\ccsetup418.exe ¯ NSIS ¯ PF-Toolbar-W78.exe - Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application - action selection postponed until scan completion

Question: Am I missing something here? Where do I find the action selections which was my goal from the start.

post-7156-0-24279200-1458543924_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-09712100-1458543946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Supersnake

Does disabling "Require full admin. rights for limited administrator accounts" option under User interface -> Access setup make a difference?

Thanks for showing me the path...

As far as being able to see an action to perform on the found threats; No, it makes no difference if that is enabled or disabled. I still can't see any action options.

Maybe this is pertinent?  When one selects "No cleaning" as a ThreatSense cleaning parameter, this appears:   

"In this mode, no automatic cleaning will occur. If a threat is detected and user is logged in, an alert window with a list of available actions may be displayed".

Looks like a list of available actions does not display for potentially unsafe or unwanted applications when one selects "No cleaning" as a ThreatSense cleaning parameter? 

Addendum:

If I had the time and patience I would set every ThreatSense parameter to "No cleaning"  and see if NOD32 AV gives me a list of actions to take after running a scan on the EICAR antivirus test file.

Edited by Supersnake

• ESET Insiders

Ok, what about gamer mode? Is a posibility you make often use of such feature and cancelled all GUI windows at the time of scan?

Ok, what about gamer mode? Is a posibility you make often use of such feature and cancelled all GUI windows at the time of scan?

Never have used it and its set as not to be used.

Edited by Supersnake

Today I ran another scan, it tells me I have an infection but I was not notified what the infection is.

Have attached today's scan log.  I ran a keyword search on "virus", "infect", "threat" "potential" but it didn't target whatever the infection is.  Anyone have an explanation why I was not shown what the infection is?

post-7156-0-86154700-1458582771_thumb.jpg

scan log 3.21.2016.txt

Edited by Supersnake

• ESET Insiders

The log show a reference to Eicar test string in a text file :)

Anyway you should see a prompt for interactive cleaning.Make sure you have enabled alerts + notifications in Advanced setup> User interface > Alerts and notifications

The log show a reference to Eicar test string in a text file :)

Anyway you should see a prompt for interactive cleaning.Make sure you have enabled alerts + notifications in Advanced setup> User interface > Alerts and notifications

Toxinon, you are very informative and are quite the diplomat :)

I made a 708 page long Word document out of that log. It mentioned the Eicar test string on only p. 689 of that lengthy document.

Did you actually scroll and read through that log to discover that it was my Eicar virus test string that triggered the threat?  If so, you are an amazingly dedicated helper.

Yes, I did have Alerts + Notifications enabled. Regardless, I have since uninstalled and reinstalled NOD AV 9 and toggled all my ThreatSense cleaning parameters to Normal Cleaning, and verified that Alerts + Notifications are enabled.

Thanks again.

Edited by Supersnake

• ESET Insiders

Lol, I just searched the phrase "action selection postponed".

Many of such GUI bugs disappear when installed in Windows 7. Strange.

I tried interactive cleaning and just works as it should be. So this seems OS related

"action selection postponed"?  Of course!  :blink:

Actually, I would never had thought of that one.

Am running Windows 7 so I can't fault that particular OS for that.

Will just have to deal with it.

Edited by Supersnake

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

After each scan, NOD32 now displays a  window showing any threats it detects, and asks me what action to take.

Have no idea why this wasn't displaying before.

Will consider my problem resolved.

Edited by Supersnake