do I need to install agent at ERA server?

Go to solution Solved by MartinK,

hi:

I am new to ERA6 and begin to try.  I will install ERA6 server and console at linux server. after reading the document, it seems I don't need to install agent at linux server.

the document said that "proxy/RD sensor/MDM/client PC" need agent. but the install manual seems install agent at ERA server.

so I want to make sure, is it necessary to install agent at ERA server? if it is necessary, what's the purpose for the agent?

thanks a lot for confirm.

Regards,

tbsky

Yes, It is necessary to install Agent on ERA server whether its linux or windows,

The ERA Agent facilitates all communications between client computers (both endpoints and servers) with ESET products installed and the ESET Remote Administrator Server (ERA Server). The ERA Agent stores and enforces policies for the client computer on which it is installed with or without an Internet connection. This allows client computers to respond more quickly to threats, and eliminates the risk of a client becoming vulnerable to a threat if it cannot communicate with the ERA Server.

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

hi:

I am new to ERA6 and begin to try.  I will install ERA6 server and console at linux server. after reading the document, it seems I don't need to install agent at linux server.

the document said that "proxy/RD sensor/MDM/client PC" need agent. but the install manual seems install agent at ERA server.

so I want to make sure, is it necessary to install agent at ERA server? if it is necessary, what's the purpose for the agent?

Regards,

tbsky

Agent installed side-by-side SERVER will provide specific OS information for reports showing ERA infrastructure. In current release, omitting AGENT installation should not affect may functionality of ERA.. But we do not recommend it because it may change in the future.

Are there any specific reasons for not installing AGENT in your environment?

hi:

Regards,

tbsky

Agent installed side-by-side SERVER will provide specific OS information for reports showing ERA infrastructure. In current release, omitting AGENT installation should not affect may functionality of ERA.. But we do not recommend it because it may change in the future.

Are there any specific reasons for not installing AGENT in your environment?

it's just I don't install useless software at my linux server. so I don't need to take care/maintain them. so you mean although agent is not necessary for ERA server now, but it maybe needed in the future?

so I guess I should install it to prevent unwanted side effect..

thanks again for the confirm.

Regards,

tbsky

Edited by tbsky