Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beancounter

Installing ESET Smart Security on a new win10 laptop

I just replaced an aging laptop running Win7 with a new machine running Win10. After firing it up I did a live install of ESET Smart Security without any problems and activated it OK. Rather foolishly I failed to notice that Mcafee was already installed and, when I rebooted the laptop ESET and Mcafee together indulged in a death struggle that made the laptop unusable.  

While I realised I should have checked first, it would have been really helpful if the ESET installer had warned of the presence of a competing product before the install.

Anyway it looks like the live installer needs a bit more work. Someone from ESET care to comment?

What McAfee product and version do you have installed? Do you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 10?

beancounter, I think what you are after would be a good thing to add to  https://forum.eset.com/topic/51-future-changes-to-eset-smart-security/page-28 .

I do not know if ESS forewarns users at installation time of existing A/V ware. I know the online ESET scanner does notify you of existing A/V ware prior to its scan.

What McAfee product and version do you have installed? Do you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 10?

It is 64 bit and the McAfee product was uninstalled,

OK. I went back to the store that sold the laptop to me. The Mcafee version is 14.0.1122. The lockup only occurred after I rebooted with an active WiFi connection. I could only get in to uninstall Mcafee after disabling the WiFi connection.

Apparently Intel now owns Mcafee and are insisting it gets preinstalled on all new PCs