VSS blocked install Paint.net 3.5.11 Black screen on boot

I installed the new paint.net 3.5.11 version with beta 7 activated. On reboot got black screen with cursor. Also had VSS access error on event viewer.

I disabled NOD for 10 minutes, did install and issues are gone.

• Administrators

I've tried to reproduce the issue on Windows XP to no avail. After installation and a computer restart, the system started alright. If you can reproduce the issue with black screen, does it go away after renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys driver in safe mode?

I've tried to reproduce the issue on Windows XP to no avail. After installation and a computer restart, the system started alright. If you can reproduce the issue with black screen, does it go away after renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys driver in safe mode?

Windows 8 X64. Can't access Safe mode with black screen had to restore system. Disabled NOD for 10 minutes install went as planned.

Hello Zardoc,

we tried it with Windows 8x64 as well and we were able to install the software successfully.

So it is probably caused by some system configuration.

OK, I found the issue. It's a problem with theme patch (Uxstyle). It seems to go nuts on new installs. Removed it and all is well.

Thanks.

Edited by Zardoc

That's good that you were able to fix it.

Thank you for sharing the solution with us.

I just wanted to add that UXTHEME.DLL patchers are not as reliable as with XP and Win 7. This theme patcher works with the memory and doesn't modify the .dll files. for some reason when I installed paint.net on reboot screen went black. That's when I tried 2 things. First, I disabled NOD and tried again. It went OK so my guess was NOD. When you said you could not repro, I then restored the machine and removed patcher. I installed all new software, rebooted and the issue was gone. I don't know why the software installed fine when I disabled NOD.

I just want you to keep this point in your files because those who use theme patchers might blame NOD if they get the same experience that I got.

If you see a post that invloves black screens, first thing to ask is do you have a patcher installed?

Thanks.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Just as a general observation, I've found that UXTHEME.DLL patching in general can be problematic with anti-malware software.  Modified DLLs might be seen as infected or patched Windows system files, memory patching seen as rootkits, etc.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky