Document protection fubared my pc

Guest lame_as_fk

Guest lame_as_fk

Running the latest version of ESET nod32. I never had a problem with the older version. I decided to turn on document protection and when I rebooted I could no longer get past the windows login screen. It just hangs forever...

After some troubleshooting I was able to pinpoint the problem being with nod32, happened the moment I turned on document protection.

Now I can't turn it off.. Because I can't start nod32 unless it's in safemode and I don't have access to disable the option in safemode.

I'm pretty pissed as I literally wasted 3 hours dealing with this and now it seems the only way to fix it is to reinstall nod32 which means I have to setup all my rules again..

yay great exactly what I wanted to do with my morning.

What is the deal with this?? Has anyone else had this problem??

Is there a way to disable that stupid document protection via safemode?

Win7 64x (literally a clean install)

• Administrators

Document protection is disabled by default because registering it in the system (Windows registry) may have adverse impact on system performance due to a bug in Microsoft Office. I'll try to find out and let you know which registry value needs to be changed in safe mode to disable integration.

This was not hard to discover.

See attached screen shots

Keep in mind of the following:

1. To be used at your own discretion.

2. I do not represent Eset and Eset will not be held responsible for a change in registry that i suggested.

3. Back up your registry with export on those keys or entire Hive, before you make these changes and attempt repair.

4. When i make a registry change of similar action and reasoning, i like to rename vs Delete. ( Try adding a Tilde ~ as a Prefix to the keys vs Delete )

This may lead to a corrupted Nod32, or it may lead to full disable of the Document Protection.

You could also rename the dll's of the plugin vs Registry edit as well.

My intentions are to speed up your recovery of your system.

I hop this helps, and please get back with us here to let us know.

Should you choose to wait for Marcus on a definitive answer, my feelings wont be hurt. :)

Good luck in recovering your OS

post-1101-0-92495900-1376693605_thumb.jpg

post-1101-0-35363200-1376693620_thumb.jpg

post-1101-0-88799300-1376693629_thumb.jpg

Very Important: Create a restore point before you attempt at solving this issue with the instructions below.

Solution 1:

1. Boot your computer into Safe Mode.

2. Open the Registry Editor, open start menu then type regedit and hit enter.

3. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000103\Profiles\@My profile

4. You'll find two DWORDS there named 'Enable' and 'Register', change their values from 1 to 0, this will disable Document Protection.

3. Restart into Normal Mode.

See if you can login normally now. If that didn't help, reverse all the steps from above, then try this:

Solution 2:

1. Boot your computer into Safe Mode.

2. Rename 'ekrnDmon.dll' located in ESET installation folder, typically: 'C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security'

3. Restart into Normal Mode

See if you can login normally now. If that didn't help, reverse all the steps from above, and post back.

Hope this helps.

Beat ya TGW !

LOL

But thanks for your more organized instructions !! I think he should be capable of getting this done !

Cheers ~ ;)

Yeah you did hehehe :lol:

The screenshots you provided will be of help as well.

Cheers

Edited by TGW