Dynamic groups templates - all computers with specyfic os

I'm trying to create a template for a dynamic group, which will all computers running windows xp.

I created a template with the expression:
OS edition.Os name contains Windows XP

Unfortunately it does not work. The group did not show up any computer.
What am I doing wrong?

• ESET Staff

I'm trying to create a template for a dynamic group, which will all computers running windows xp.

I created a template with the expression:
OS edition.Os name contains Windows XP

Unfortunately it does not work. The group did not show up any computer.
What am I doing wrong?

This is flow of dynamic groups content computation:

1. dynamic group template is created or modified by user
  2. new or modified dynamic group is sent to AGENT (i.e. client must connect to get latest template version)
  3. client computes and sends to SERVER whether it matches this new dynamic group template based on locally available data. (there is high probability results will be sent to SERVER in the same connection, but not guaranteed)
  4. SERVER computes content of dynamic group and two conditions must be met in order to be group member:
  • computer must be member of static group under which is dynamic groups is placed
  • computer must be matching latest dynamic group template used in dynamic group - data already sent to SERVER are relevant.

I would recommend to check whether clients that should be matching group are actually connecting. Also, check whether they are reporting OS as "Windows XP" and not as "Windows Xp" as example - you should see this in main clients view and probably also in clients detail view.

Edited by MartinK

I was able to finally do it. The problem was that a Windows XP group created as a subgroup of Windows computers.

When I moved a Windows XP group on the same level as the group Windows computer everything started working.