Questions: auto-update & silent blocking

I just downloaded and installed a NOD32 for Linux trial.  This looks like an excellent AV program.

Just a couple of questions.

1)  Can it be configured for auto updating the virus signature database?  Or do I need to periodically request manual updates?

2)  I tested it with the EICAR test file.  This download was silently blocked.  Is there a way to configure it so that a message is displayed when the program is blocking a file?  With silent blocking, one is not certain whether there is a system failure or the AV is blocking the action.

Thanks for any info!

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The VSD is updated automatically out-of-the-box, no need to set it up. The product checks for a new update every 60 minutes by default and when there is a newer version, it downloads it.

As for the notifications, they should be shown as well. Please try to go to Advanced setup and check the desktop notifications. (In case this would be affected by the Linux distribution, which one do you use?)

Regards,

T.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I see the updates are downloaded automatically.  I regularly see that notification in the upper right corner of the screen.

I found the Alerts and Notifications options, those are checked.  But I am not seeing them appear on the desktop...

I am on Netrunner Rolling release, this is an Arch / Manjaro based distribution.  I know NOD32 is not written for systemd.  Someone posted instructions for creating a unit file, and starting the service at boot.  That allowed me to access the gui.

Maybe there is more I need to do to the alerts / notifications to display on the desktop?

Thanks for any info.

• ESET Moderators

Unfortunately, it seems you are running an unsupported Linux distribution which is most probably the cause for the notifications not appearing.

I am not aware of the changes that would need to be done in order to show notifications in that environment.

Regards,

T.