How to test command line scans

Hi there

I've created a command line script with ecls, which will be called by an application to virus check files that are uploaded to a specific server.  I'm able to test the command line script and get exit codes of 0 and 50 (by scanning a suspect exe).  Does anyone have any ideas on how testing can be done so that the exit codes can be returned so I check that my exception handling covers all scenarios and these tests be incorporated into my unit tests and in our continuous integration cycle?  

Gavin 

• ESET Moderators

Hello Gavin,

you could get more info by running ecls.exe with "--help" option so run "ecls.exe --help"

Exit codes are following:

0    no threat found
  1    threat found and cleaned
  10   some files could not be scanned (may be threats)
  50   threat found
  100  error

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

You can also use the harmless EICAR test file which all anti-malware programs identify as a threat for testing purposes.  It is actually just a text file, but all anti-malware programs report it as a virus.

As one colleague put it, think of it as the digital version of the "test" button on a smoke alarm.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi Aryeh 

Thanks for the information.  This is exactly was I was looking for.  Currently I've been using the MediaInfo installer (hxxp://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) as this throws up an exit code of 10.  I'll see about getting this file and incorporating this into my unit tests instead. 

Gavin