ESET and Window 10 Mail App

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hello,

I'm seeking advice please on using the Mail app in Windows 10.

Currently ESET Smart Security is protecting my incoming emails arriving in Outlook.

However, if I were to ditch Outlook and instead use the Windows 10 Mail app (which I understand ESET does not support), would anything be scanning my emails arriving in Mail? Would I have any email protection, as it appears that ESET switches off Windows Defender?

To put it another way, does ESET prevent me from safely using the Windows 10 Mail app.

I'd be grateful for any insight or advice.

Tony

• Administrators
  • Solution

If you receive email via the POP3(S) or IMAP(S) protocol, ESET will scan received email for malware. However, antispam protection won't work as it's an unsupported email client that ESET doesn't integrate into.

If you receive email via the POP3(S) or IMAP(S) protocol, ESET will scan received email for malware. However, antispam protection won't work as it's an unsupported email client that ESET doesn't integrate into.

Marcos, is that also true for ESS v8?

Marcos,

Thank you for your response. That is good to know.

I hope ESET are able to work with Microsoft towards full ESET integration with Mail in the future as it (Mail) does have a rather nice, user friendly, interface.

Tony

Edited by ant345

• Administrators

I hope ESET are able to work with Microsoft towards full ESET integration with Mail in the future as it (Mail) does have a rather nice, user friendly, interface.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that won't happen. Also adding support for Windows Live Mail or the former Outlook Express was always problematic.

• Administrators

V9 is newer than v8. That means if v9 doesn't support a particular email client, there's no chance that older versions would (well, actually there was one exception with prehistoric versions of Thunderbird).

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that won't happen. Also adding support for Windows Live Mail or the former Outlook Express was always problematic.

Hello,

I was using Windows 10 Mail succesfully with ESET 9.0.349.0 since January 2016 until last Tuesday 8th of March, when syncing with other accounts than Hotmail stopped working.

When I now disable ESET protection I can sync.

It is quite worrying for me that a such a bold statement from a ESET Moderator is made.... that we can forget about decent Windows 10 Mail support in ESET, after having paid for ESET licenses for so many years (obvbiously meaning that I eally like ESET!). I would even argue that it is unacceptable!!!

I sincerely hope that other people at ESET will do their best to make ESET work properly with a simple Mail tool that is ow integral part of the Windows 10 experience.

If not...bye bye ESET for me.

thanks

Pietpara

• 1 year later...

Today I received similar problem, my windows 10 mail app don't work correctly. It not showed up sent messages for gmail account. Win 10 people app also don't sync gmail accounts. Its ended up with error 0x80048830. After deleting eset antivirus and restarting pc it works. Funnest, windows activated windows defender antivirus itself, so I do not installing eset antivirus again for sure. Sadly I have eset antivirus license till 2019 year...

Edited by Megadeivs
added new info

• Administrators

I've configured Mail application with a Gmail account but didn't encounter any issues receiving email with ESET v11 installed.

As for Windows Defender, I don't think it intercepts SSL communication like ESET does by default so obviously it can't cause SSL-related issues. On the other hand, without inspecting SSL communication it shouldn't be able to detect malware in it without having dedicated plug-ins for particular browsers or email clients.

I wonder if temporarily disabling protocol filtering (or only SSL/TLS filtering) makes a difference in your case.