License Manager computer names -2 -3 -4 using up licenses.

For some reason the online License Manager is adding a -2, -3, -4 to various computer names and we certainly don't have multiples of those.  It's warning about exceeding the license.  Yes I know you can simply delete them, but need to know why it is doing that.

Thanks!

Edited by mikeygee

• ESET Staff

This happens, when you have multiple computers with the same name. Imagine that you have an "image.computer" name which you clone 5 times. So in ELA you will end up with:

- image computer

- image computer-1

- image computer-2

- image computer-3

- image computer-4

In the next release of ESET License Administrator, we will display not only the seat name (which is constructed from the computer name, but as it needs to be unique, it always appends that -x at the end), but also the full computer name as stored on the computer. You will be able to see the seat name also in Endpoint applications + you will be able to rename the seat-name to the one of your choice. This change will transfer backwards to the Endpoint installed.

This happens, when you have multiple computers with the same name. Imagine that you have an "image.computer" name which you clone 5 times. So in ELA you will end up with:

- image computer

- image computer-1

- image computer-2

- image computer-3

- image computer-4

In the next release of ESET License Administrator, we will display not only the seat name (which is constructed from the computer name, but as it needs to be unique, it always appends that -x at the end), but also the full computer name as stored on the computer. You will be able to see the seat name also in Endpoint applications + you will be able to rename the seat-name to the one of your choice. This change will transfer backwards to the Endpoint installed.

Thanks, but we don't have any cloned computers with the same or similar names.  When we do clone the first thing we do is change the name before it joins the Domain.   Anything else I can try?  Would upgrading Remote Administrator from 6.2.171.0 to 6.3.X help any?

• ESET Staff

Can you please send me examples of your names, that are appended with -1 / -2 / -n & the public license of your license key (you can send them via private message).  We will check, if this is a standard behavior.

PS: the next release of ESET License Administrator, that we are planning to release in next few weeks will have also some fixes related to this issue (on top of the possibility to change the seat names).

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have recently found that this has become an issue for me. One of our support people has renamed a computer (we'll call it L26) from a previous name (we'll call L01). The problem is, ESET was installed before this name change, so it's seat name is L01 with a computer name of L26. Normally, this wouldn't be that much of an issue as we've renamed plenty of machines. However, the L01 name has been reissued to another machine. Because of this, the ERA thinks that L26 is L01. Let me put a simple construct up so you can see... Seat name will be first with Device name to follow...

L01-1 > L01

L01 > L26                

L26 now = L01 and the real/current L01

I've since logged into the the ELA portal, but I can't seem to edit anything with the machines. It's like the check boxes are missing next to the names. The only one that shows is up at the top. Is it possible to change the seat name from ELA? Should I be seeing check boxes next to the names? If neither of those are correct, what are my options here? L26 is currently showing in ERA as having nothing installed (even though it does). It's there because of Active Directory Sync, but the agent is replicating as L01. Please help. Thank you.

• ESET Staff

You are facing two independent problems.

1. is duplicated computer entry in ERA (one unmanaged vs. one managed). You can rename a computer to its current name both manually, or by "rename computers" server task. Then it is all about configuring your AD sync task properly. I believe @MartinK will be able to assist here.

2. is that you are logging to ERA using you security admin account, but licenses were activated using license key (either locally, or by task from ERA). Those two are not equal, "security admin" is an inferior access level, who had control (editing / deactivation rights) only for seats  (activated computers) that were activated by himself (using credentials for activation / adding them to ERA). We will address this confusing behavior by Q4, when a successor to ELA will be introduced. Now you should login using your license key and ELA password (which was provided to you after purchase / conversion) and then rename / deactivate the seats. You will see the checkboxes there.

Hi Michal,

So the ERA entries for the two machines do not match. I'm familiar with the rename computers task, as I've had that issue in the past as well. The device names are different, with one showing as agent and app installed, while the other is not. In reality though, they both have agent and app. So, that's not my issue, My issue is that one of the devices has an endpoint with the identical seat name to the other device name. So L26 seat name (L01) is the device name for L01, while L01's seat name is L01-1. The problem is, L26 is reporting as nothing installed, but is actually checking in as L01. Let me know if I need to clarify this further. I'm working on retrieving password now. I found the license key, but can't find the pw.

If there's anything that can come from this, just please do all that you can to make the whole management process across the board, much easier. I often find that while this product is awesome at what it does, it's extremely difficult to use at times, It can consume several hours, if not days, to solve relatively minor problems with no clear direction on how to fix. Please build more robust remediation into the ERA for administrative issues such as something like this. Even removing application and agent are near disastrous from the ERA. If I can't have authoritative power over a policy that's applied to all machines at the top level and I'm unable to move machine group to get away from policy, then I waste an hour of my time digging up directions and completing the uninstall manually. Or trying to create an exact opposite of the policy hoping that it will stick throughout the uninstall process. Simplify and maintain, as they say. I should be able to do any and all from ERA with ease and simplicity while being able to find what I need relatively quickly.  

• ESET Staff

Is this a cloned VM? I would suggest to run a "reset cloned agent task", on the entry with agent. It might happen, if it is a clone, that you have one cloned VM , where both instances have the same agent UUI, and they are replicating into the 1 entry in ERA Server. The other one, is basically "unmanaged" (if it was for example synced from AD, or added manually). So reset cloned agent task should help.

We are planning bigger changes related to "troubleshooting" of problems into the next version of ERA, as well we are planning to improve the experience with virtualized environments. Internal UUID of agent made it better, for machines roaming around, so the entry in ERA server is "always consistent", however caused issues with VM environments, where machines with agents are cloned, re-imagined, booted from "base image", etc, which is causing problems like the one you have experienced.

I am sorry for the problems you are experiencing. We are continuously monitoring the forums, and are working hard on implementing the feedback you provide, as our common interest is to make the product better. We value your feedback, both positive, and negative, as without it, we would be blind and deaf. 

No, unfortunately not. I looked at that option as well, but wasn't sure because this is technically not cloned, even though it resembles such an issue. This is just a plain old physical machine that had a previous name that is now in use by another computer and the seat name on the renamed computer is conflicting with the device name of the computer that has acquired the previous name. I just fixed the issue now. 

Here's what I had to do: I logged into ELA with License Key and Password, Then I changed the seat name on both machines to match their current device names, and verified that the change occurred by looking at the Endpoint. I then checked the ERA to see what was going on, but no changes. Both machines were still checking in under one name. I then deleted both from ERA (unchecked the box to deactivate products), ran another AD sync, and when they appeared again they were both checking-in under their designated names as desired. Problem solved. 

Also, I appreciate that you guys are always very responsive on here and are always looking for feedback. I don't mind working out the kinks, because I can see how well this product performs its intended purpose. It's better at that than any other platform I've used. It's the trust that I have with ESET in all aspects that makes being patient well worth it. You guys have an awesome product, and with a few tweaks to administrative/troubleshooting issues, things will be much easier on all of us. Truly grateful for the work that all of you do. It's been nothing but forward progress. Thank you.

• ESET Staff
3 hours ago, whitelistCMD said:

Hi Michal,

So the ERA entries for the two machines do not match. I'm familiar with the rename computers task, as I've had that issue in the past as well. The device names are different, with one showing as agent and app installed, while the other is not. In reality though, they both have agent and app. So, that's not my issue, My issue is that one of the devices has an endpoint with the identical seat name to the other device name. So L26 seat name (L01) is the device name for L01, while L01's seat name is L01-1. The problem is, L26 is reporting as nothing installed, but is actually checking in as L01. Let me know if I need to clarify this further. I'm working on retrieving password now. I found the license key, but can't find the pw.

I am not sure I understand it correctly, but device/computer name in ERA is static. Once computer entry is created, it won''t change its name, even if you rename computer in domain or change it's hostname. It will remain using it's initial name it was assigned during its creation. AGENT is reporting current hostname/FQDN as visible in client detail's view (section Device Identifiers) and it is up to administrator to rename computer either manually or using previously mentioned task. This also results in fact, that hostname reported in ERA may be different as in ELA, where hostname is reported by security product itself and possibly in different moment.

Regarding broken reporting of installed applications for this client, could you please check this device's client details view whether other details are reported correctly? Is this client connecting, and directly to SERVER or through ERA Proxy? ERA Agent collects list of installed applications from operating system using WMI - is it enabled on this machine? Can you see ESET application in standard "Change or remove program" windows dialog?

So let me backtrack for a minute, and try to explain. I was confused at first, I will admit, because I was unaware that if you look in the About section on an Endpoint, that there's a seat name and a device name. Actually, could we do a private message instead? I'd like to share some screenshots to better explain, but would prefer to do that privately since there will be machine names in those. This may take me a bit to get to... possibly tomorrow, as I'm in meetings now the rest of the day -_-