Unknown User in my Privileges Section of Preferences (Tools)

Hello All,

I am a new user of ESET Cyber Security Pro (for Mac) and have not had a chance to explore all the options and settings.  After reviewing some basic settings, I've discovered that in Preferences --> Tools --> Privileges, there are two users; Myself and another unknown user called, "angulinerved".  This is my personal MacBook Air 13" running OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 and no other users have access to it. I ran both a Malwarebytes  and a full ESET deep scan and both come up clean. I don't know why this unknown user is listed and I cannot delete that listing.  Does anyone know if this is usual behavior or do I need to uninstall and perform a clean install?  Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mods,

​If it is possible, please delete this post.  I eventually realized that the user, "angulinerved", is an ESET system user created when Parental Controls are initiated (which I had done).

Sorry  :(

Edited by Jack's_Son

• 1 month later...
  • Most Valued Members

I eventually realized that the user, "angulinerved", is an ESET system user created when Parental Controls are initiated (which I had done).

I'm not too sure that this user is created as I have Parental Controls on and I'm still the only user listed in the Privileges section, plus I couldn't find anyone else with this same user when doing a Google search so it is a little bizarre.  :unsure:

Does this user still appear after updating to 10.11.4 and restarting OS X? Do you have any third-party tools that would require an additional user?

Planet,

I had searched Google like you, and could not find a similar user named "angulinerved" either.  However, when I searched through documentation for the software, i THOUGHT I came across mention of the user under Parental Controls; hence my edit to my query.  I'll search again, but there is no such user in my System Preferences -> Users & Groups on my Mac.  The only place it shows up is in my ESET setup.  I'll search again. If any other user or Mod could chime in, I would appreciate help in solving this puzzle.

ESET Parental Control.tiff

• Most Valued Members

Is there any other folder (possibly that name) in 'Macintosh HD/Users/' other than your own, Guest (if used) and Shared?

There are only three folders in 'Macintosh HD/Users/': Myself, Dropbox, & Shared.  I'm reasonably certain that I ran across mention of 'angulinerved' in some ESET documentation, but I just searched through the manual and did a seach, but found no mention of such a user.  I'm still hoping someone from ESET moderator or an other forum member will clarify this situation.

Planet,

ESET customer support was able to resolve my unknown user issue.  I also have a Windows laptop that has Smart Security installed.  Smart Security recommends the creation of a Phantom User as an additional Anti-theft measure. However, because the Phantom user is part of your ESET account, it transfers that information across platforms; including Parental Controls.

• Most Valued Members

Planet,

ESET customer support was able to resolve my unknown user issue.  I also have a Windows laptop that has Smart Security installed.  Smart Security recommends the creation of a Phantom User as an additional Anti-theft measure. However, because the Phantom user is part of your ESET account, it transfers that information across platforms; including Parental Controls.

That's really unusual... Cyber Security Pro doesn't have any way of entering any account information to sign in in the first place, and I have three other devices signed in (two Windows PCs with Smart Security, one Android for Mobile Security) and none of those device's phantom users appear on the Mac, they have never appeared on my other Mac either.

That IS odd!  I assume, since you have Phantom Users set up under Parental Controls or Anti-theft on your Windows devices, what happens if you temporarily activate Parental Control on the Cyber Security Pro of the Mac? Is the Phantom User carried over to your Mac?

All the devices are tied into a single license with the same product key, user id, and password.  When I activated my software, I was given those three items as part of my purchase.

Edited by Jack's_Son