After upgrade to Version 9.x, windows backup fails with 0x8078011E

User upgraded to Version 9.x and now cannot complete a full windows backup. ERROR code that comes up is 0x8078011E . We have done all kinds of exclusions and the only thing that works is disabling real time protection. I even excluded the  different volume shadow copy directories. example:   \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1

\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2  and on the way down. If you google this error code it is made clear that its a known issue with AV software and windows backup. This is the only time I have run into this with ESET and it's only happened with Version 9.x. If I have customer go back to V8 the backup performs as normal. I have procmom logs avail to send via PM if needed. 

We had one similar case.

Please uninstall ESET Smart Security using ESET Uninstall tool (see ESET KB2289 - hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2289/)

Then install it again.

It helped us.

Not only did I do 2289 I made sure manually that there were no ESET remants after 2289.  Need more suggestions. 

Bump again! This just happened to me when upgrading ESET Smart Security to 9.x over 8.x on Windows 10. I'm using the Windows 7 legacy backup tool. Same symptoms as tmuster2k. Uninstalliing/reinstalling did not fix it. Will try ESET KB2289 (but apparently this doesn't work in all cases).

• 3 weeks later...

Installing the 9.0.375.0 version does not fix the problem. It still borks with error 0x8078011E, ​Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP). Choosing to "Pause protection" until the next reboot in the ESET context menu allows the Windows Backup to finish successfully.

Still looking for a fix from ESET please.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a user of ESET smart security, had similar issue
and at least in my case it was solved.

- Exclude the following files from the real-time scanning
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD.LOG

The number just after "HarddiskVolume" varies by environments.
To find it, execute bcdedit.exe from command prompt with administrator privilege.