Is ESET crashing my Windows 10?

Hello. I've done a fresh W10 installation, create four local accounts (1 administrator, 3 standard), installed lastest ESET Smart Security 9 version, and i have a problem switching between users. I copy/paste from another link, because it's exactly my issue and my english is not good:

hxxp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/interactive-sign-in-process-initialisation-has/613c2111-58d6-4eac-9c7f-ace729f70979

" (...)when logging out of one account occasionally, but not always, , I get a black screen with the message:

"Interactive Sign-In process initialisation has failed. Please Check the event log for details" with an OK button

The mouse is locked out and pressing Enter does nothing, I used to have to reboot the computer but I found that pressing ALT+TAB switched focus to the Dialog Box and then pressing enter dismisses the message, and then the windows 10 sign in screen appears where I can enter my pin to log on etc. all fine. (...) When I checked the event log the error every time is:

"The Windows log-on process has unexpectedly terminated.

Source: Winlogon

Event ID: 4005

Level: Error"

This is the black screen:

I thought it was a Windows 10 problem, but when i uninstalled ESET, problem is gone! I've left Windows Defender a few days as the only antivirus in my system and all runs fine. After, i've installed Emsisoft Antimalware and no problems. Yesterday, i uninstalled Emsisoft and installed again ESET Smart Security 9 (settings by default, HIPS Smart Mode), and problem is back. 

Any suggestion? 

Thanks in advance
Edited by Malaque

• Administrators

Does disabling HIPS and restarting the computer make a difference? If not, try disabling other protection features, one by one, to narrow it down.

Does disabling HIPS and restarting the computer make a difference? If not, try disabling other protection features, one by one, to narrow it down.

Thanks Marcos. I'll try it later at home.

After two hours testing settings i'm a bit tired... I've not found a solution, sorry. Finally i've installed this licence in my laptop (single user) and unintalled ESET in my desktop PC. I hope to have better luck in future releases. Thanks anyway for your support.

Give ESET a second chance... I think i've found the culprit: the Firewall. For some reason, ESET Firewall in Auto mode is blocking some devices and communications (in Network Protection, Troubleshoting Wizard, Recently blocked applications or devices). What's the best setting in Firewall for avoid blocking valid connections? Thanks

You can switch to learning mode or use the firewall troubleshooting wizard to unblock legitimate communications.

Thanks Marcos. When i unblock legitimate communications they come back as blocked.... In fact, even a lot of ESET service DNS or my route connections appear as blocked!!

Lost my patience! Even with Firewall in training mode, still freezes and hangs (lastly a grey screen) when switch from one account to other. Uninstalled and installed licence in my laptop (single user, no probs here). 

Hi @Malaque,

Do you remember to put ESET Firewall in "Automatic mode with rules" after the "Learning mode" or "Interactive mode"?

Hi Gonzalo.

I was in learning mode when my system hangs with a grey screen, so i have no chance to set another mode. Thanks

Well, finally uninstalled ESET, installed Nod32 and... problems gone! Definitively, Firewall was the culprit. Now, all is smoother and faster

Edited by Malaque

• 4 months later...

Can't believe this is still an issue. I am using Smart Security 9 with Win 7 x64. Every other time I logout from a user account my screen gets dark and the PC is still running, but it doesn't respond. I put it in and out of sleep and no change. I disabled the ESET Firewall and haven't had the problem since. This really needs to be corrected. I share my PC with 3 others and at least 2 of us are logged in at a time.

• 2 weeks later...