Does "Device Control" distinguish between removable/non-removable drives?

RyanTsai

Hi,

I have set a policy denying access to all "Storage Device" under Device control with the intention to block all thumbdrives from my network, it mostly works fine. But I have a few users complaining that they're getting locked out of local harddrives as well. I checked the logs and indeed their local Hitachi 500GB hdd is getting blocked by Device Control.

So my question is how does EES/EEA Device Control determine between removable and non-removable drives? does Device Control apply to removable only or both(shouldn't be the case as it doesn't block local HDD for most people). 

Also I can't just add an allow rule for those particular clients, because we're in testing phase only, if the same problem appears after we roll out to hundreds of clients with different hardware configuration then we're going to have a huge problem.

Edited by RyanTsai

• Administrators

Are they physical or virtual machines? Do you see an icon for removable devices in the system tray with an option to eject the device?

Hello,

same Problem here. The internal HDD is a SATA HDD nn a physical PC. We have a rule to block and manage the access to some devices over ActiveDirectoy Group. We are not able to give the HDD partition free, because it is a device type "fixed hdd". We need a "hotfix" for that ;-)

post-10708-0-69205100-1454665789_thumb.png

ok, created a "hotfix" for me. I have created a rule "hdd access" and assigned a device group to it. In the device group i have put under model the hdd "ST500LM000-1EJ162" to it.

That works for me. But i think there must a fix from ESET for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

Dear We have same issue>>>

ESET Remote Administrator 6.3 Client Block Local HDD when we create device control policy for disk storage. we have 400 users in network and 40 users have Hdd Block issue .

Create HDD Allow policy is not solution. in big network it,s hard to manage.

so plz do helpful us and give proper solution for this..

Thank you

Harshad

• Administrators

Does Windows offer you an option to unplug the internal disk? If you click the icon for removable media, is it listed in the list of connected devices? post-10-0-71607800-1456182450.png