Personal firewall non functional (Win 10, eset 9.0.349)

Last evening updated win 10 with the latest updates then d/l ESET smart security (latest Version. )

now i have a warning that the Firewall is not working, its very dangerous and i should re-install ESET.

I removed ESES and reinstalled but i have the same Problem.

I cant now connect to the Internet safely so my PC us useless. I raised a tech question and the autoreply email says it may take 7 days ?!?

I have found a discission about this and "Dorjee" says ist fixed but I cant see where the fix is described!!

Very frustrating

HELP !!! :-)

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Can you post a link to the discussion which mentioned the fix?

We'd like to check what specific fix it was about.

As for the customer care, the response may take up to 7 days, but hopefully it will be answered much sooner than that.

T.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Can you post a link to the discussion which mentioned the fix?

We'd like to check what specific fix it was about.

As for the customer care, the response may take up to 7 days, but hopefully it will be answered much sooner than that.

T.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/7049-win-10-security-alert-personal-firewall-is-non-functional-even-after-reinstall/ 

• ESET Moderators

Hello, please follow the steps below to resolve this issue (or visit KB here)

1. In most cases, you can perform a manual uninstallation and then reinstall ESET Smart Security to resolve this issue. Continue to step 2 below if this does not resolve the issue.

2. Press the Windows Key + R, type the command ncpa.cpl and then click OK to open the Network Connections dialog.

3. Right-click the adapter that is currently in use and select Properties from the context menu.

4. Check to see if ESET Personal Firewall is shown. Take note of whether it is shown and continue to step 5 below.

5. Open ESET Smart Security. How do I open my ESET product?

6. Press F5 to access Advanced setup.

7. Expand Antivirus > HIPS and click the slider bar to disable HIPS. Click OK and then restart your computer.

8. Open ESET Smart Security, click Setup > Network and check to see whether Network Protection modules are now functional. If they are, the issue should be resolved. If Network Protection is still non-functional, complete the rest of the steps below.

9. Press the Windows Key + R, type the command ncpa.cpl and then click OK to open the Network Connections dialog.

10. Click Install, select Service and then click Add.

If the ESET Personal Firewall service already exists

Select it and click Uninstall and then continue from step 10 above.

1. Click Have Disk navigate to the ESET Personal Firewall driver at C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Drivers\epfwlwf and click OK

2. Select ESET Personal Firewall and click OK.

3. Repeat steps 6-7 and click the slider bar to enable HIPS. Restart your computer and check to see if the issue persists. 
Edited by foneil
added link to KB5824

• Administrators

Installation of epfwlwf driver is performed by the operating system itself. So if there's a problem installing it, we can hardly affect it. Even if you couldn't resolve the issue, you could install ESET NOD32 Antivirus instead which doesn't use that firewall driver and your license entitles you to use it.

Hi both and thanks for the Input but that procedure looks far to complex for me !!

After all, i just want to install ESET and it to work. My set up is so simple and the Laptop has next to no apps on it.

Installing the latest Version of ESET should be simple ?

I have managed to deinstall it and i am trialling AN other solution so cant do this procedure now in any case.

I do appreciate the suggestions but its a moot point for now.

I have used ESET for many years with no issues so Im dissapointed that i have had to delete it.

Pete Butler