First problems with 6.3

Hi

I've upgraded to 6.3 from 6.2 (previously from 6.1, previously from USA global 6.x release). For the first time I've hit post-upgrade issues; all previous ones have been fine. I'm using Windows on SQL 2012, with Windows 2012 R2.

If I edit a client task and remove targets I get an error:

"Task was successfully modified, but we were unable to remove some of its targets. Will continue adding new targets"

if I create a brand new task and add targets I get:

"Client task has been saved but there was an error adding its targets"

In both cases I am adding a dynamic group, namely my own group "Clients with outdated agent" or "Clients with outdated antivirus".

EDIT: I've now realised I cannot add to, or remove from, any group from any task, whether it's a new group or task or an existing group or tasks. Is something a bit screwed up? I did take a backup of the database before the upgrade and I am sure I can restore my ESET VM if I need to.......but I'd prefer not to.

Many thanks

Jim

Edited by jimwillsher

I Jim,

no prolbem for me about management of tasks after upgrading to 6.3.

BUT i see that the console is still unable to show the public ip of remote devices.

What is the interest to see a lan IP ???

Now it's been one year i am waiting for this, and i see that 6.3 is still not as good as v5 was...

i will now try to find another antivirus editor to migrate 1000 computers, i hope i will find an editor taking care to client's complains.

• ESET Staff

Hi

I've upgraded to 6.3 from 6.2 (previously from 6.1, previously from USA global 6.x release). For the first time I've hit post-upgrade issues; all previous ones have been fine. I'm using Windows on SQL 2012, with Windows 2012 R2.

If I edit a client task and remove targets I get an error:

"Task was successfully modified, but we were unable to remove some of its targets. Will continue adding new targets"

if I create a brand new task and add targets I get:

"Client task has been saved but there was an error adding its targets"

In both cases I am adding a dynamic group, namely my own group "Clients with outdated agent" or "Clients with outdated antivirus".

EDIT: I've now realised I cannot add to, or remove from, any group from any task, whether it's a new group or task or an existing group or tasks. Is something a bit screwed up? I did take a backup of the database before the upgrade and I am sure I can restore my ESET VM if I need to.......but I'd prefer not to.

Many thanks

Jim

Could you please verify all your components were upgraded successfully? Especially version of ERA Server and Webconsole must match.

Similar problems can also happen due to browser caching - please try to logout from Webconsole and reload login page (Ctrl+F5) in case you have not done that already.

Communic, I have a genuine problem, please start you own thread.

Thanks Martin, yes the components seem to have been upgraded correctly. I've now tried on a different PC where I've never used the console and have the same.

Is there a log file somewhere, or should I be rolling back?

Many thanks,

Jim

Edited by jimwillsher

• ESET Staff

Is there a log file somewhere, or should I be rolling back?

There may be more detailed error message in SERVER trace.log.

Please also provide SERVER and Webconsole version (from About page), so that we are sure correct version were available to download ...

EDIT: we made some internal testing and were able to reproduce the same problem with old Webconsole (6.2) connecting to 6.3 SERVER. In case this is tour case, please provide details of your upgrade steps - there may be problem with our download servers or repository.

Edited by MartinK

Hi Martin

ESET Remote Administrator (Server), Version 6.3.136.0
ESET Remote Administrator (Web Console), Version 6.3.114.0
Copyright © 1992-2016 ESET, spol. s r.o. All Rights Reserved.
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (64-bit), Version 6.3.9600

License used for module updates of this ERA:
Public ID:
Expires: 2037 Dec 31 12:00:00

Connected Clients: 177
Active Licenses: 4
Installed Components:

Update module    1060 (20150617)
Translation support module    1434 (20151203)
Configuration module    1238B (20151204)
SysInspector module    1257 (20151113)

I'm getting LOTS of weird stuff happening. I've done a complete rollback - VM and Database. The VM is from about a week ago (my pre-upgrade backup last night didn't work) and my database is from just before the upgrade last night. I've now completely re-done the upgrade, and the problem above has gone away. But I now have other wird problems :-)

The agent *and* the version of EEA on several machines was upgraded to to 6.3 last night. That includes my own laptop. When i look in ERA for my machine I see this:

Last Connected Time   2016 Jan 22 08:48:11

but on Installed Applications I see this:

ESET Endpoint Antivirus    ESET, spol. s r.o.    6.2.2033.0    225    yes    6.3.2016.0     Outdated version
ESET Remote Administrator Agent    ESET, spol. s r.o.    6.2.190.0    230    yes    6.3.136.0     Outdated version

When i look at Control Panel on my laptop, or hover over the ESET icon, both show 6.3. yet they are checking-in to EEA and showing outdated versions.

This is a bit of a panic now, since I have 180 machines and have absolutely no idea of what's what.

Nightmare?

Jim
Edited by jimwillsher

• ESET Staff

Is there any chance you have not restarted tomcat when you were upgrading to 6.3 for the first time? Or did you use "Components Upgrade" task? We are now almost confident you were fore some reason using old Webconsole (maybe only some caching problem in tomcat).

Your current problems are expected after reverting database and it should take no more than 24 hours to fully recover. AGENTs currently "think" they have already sent data to SERVER and they do no know is has been reverted, but they will re-send data in upcoming hours.

You can speed-it up by changing SERVER realm, which is currently undocumented way how to force re-synchronization in ERA infrastructure. Unfortunately only possible way is to run next SQL commands directly over ERA database:

declare @new_uuid char(36);
SET @new_uuid = LOWER(NEWID());
exec dbo.usp_replication_realm_uuid_set @new_uuid;

and restart SERVER. We strongly recommend to run it in your case, because you have reverted SERVER not only back-in-time, but also to older version from AGENTs point of view.

Thanks Martin, I really appreciate the help and the quick replies. Thank you.

I'm currently-re-restoring (again) so that I can guarantee I'm on an even keel, given the weird things :-) So in about ten minutes I will know.

Thanks for the tip re: realm, I will try that. Also, yes, I used the upgrade task.

Jim

Edited by jimwillsher

Many thanks for the realm SQL, that's worked and my clients are reporting in to 6.2 okay.

I'm going to hang fire for a week. I've never had any issues with ERA upgrades, this is the first, and I'm away all next week with work. So I'll sit tight with 6.2 for a while until i get more time.....

Many thanks for your help.

Jim

• ESET Staff

Hi Jim,

For your future upgrade, we would like to recommend you to upgrade the ERA server & webconsole manually. As webconsole is quite large file, some customers have experienced time-outs upon downloading era.war file during the upgrade task.

Concerning the webconsole, please follow the instructions (please first stop the tomcat service, and era server service, and rename the previous version of the console to something else "era2".

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/62/en-US/index.html?component_installation_webconsole_windows.htm

Then, for the ERA agents, I would use the components upgrade task.

Michal

Hello guys, can you please give me a hint? I need

declare @new_uuid char(36);
SET @new_uuid = LOWER(NEWID());
exec dbo.usp_replication_realm_uuid_set @new_uuid;

but for MySQL, I have a ERA virtual appliance on VMWARE, it was ok till yesterdays upgrade to 6.3, I went back on snapshot of 6.2 but need to force re-synchronization ... BTW I'm very unhappy with 6.3 handling targets, not showing when task execution occured, etc, but it might be broken update just on my side.

Thank you.

MySQL query is even simpler:

call usp_replication_realm_uuid_set(UUID());

thanks MartinK, I've got 

mysql> use era_db
Database changed
mysql> call usp_replication_realm_uuid_set(UUID());
Query OK, 1 row affected (0,01 sec)

but still almost one day difference between web console and reality, am I missing something here?

post-9399-0-65711900-1453968358_thumb.png

Thank you ...

Edited by martyz

sorry, my fault, local time on ERA server was out of sync...

28 Jan 09:44:32 ntpdate[19766]: step time server 192.168.0.20 offset 77289.491893 sec

so this one is sorted out for now, thanks.

I must admin, taks history in 6.3 is very confusing. There's no date column, so it's impossible to see the latest tasks first. You also only see one occurrence of a task, even if you've run it several times. It was useful in 6.2. to say "task X has been tried 4 times and keeps failing", but you cna't see that in 6.3.