Question about ESET'S default settings at time of initial installation

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Good afternoon everyone,

I am in the process of reading through the ESET Smart Security User Guide as I'm considering purchasing ESET to replace my current security suite.  (Existing software will no longer have support after December 31st as the company has been acquired by another one).

If I'm understanding correctly what I've read thus far, ESET installs with default settings designed for maximum/optimal protection right from the start.

My question:  Are the default settings usually sufficient, or is a lot of 'tweaking' required?

I ask this simply because age and health issues are taking their toll.  So, I'm looking for a program with both a good 'track record', so-to-speak, and is relatively easy to understand/use.  (ESET comes highly-recommended from what I have read in some other forums, such as, Bleeping Computer).

Thank you for your time and any feedback! :)

• Administrators
  • Solution

The only thing to tweak in v9 is switching HIPS to Smart mode so that you are asked for an action if a highly suspicious operation typical for malware is attempted.

The only thing to tweak in v9 is switching HIPS to Smart mode so that you are asked for an action if a highly suspicious operation typical for malware is attempted.

Would you recommend HIPS- Smart Mode to Home users with little technical knowledge? 

• Administrators

Would you recommend HIPS- Smart Mode to Home users with little technical knowledge?

Yes as Smart mode normally doesn't ask the user at all.

What do you define as "highly suspicious operation" ? 

What do you define as "highly suspicious operation" ? 

Per hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3755/

Smart mode: Only suspicious system events trigger a notification beyond the set of pre-defined rules in Automatic mode (operations such as system registry, active processes and programs).