NOD32 "Unable to open file" error

Yesterday I ran a scan on my computer and there were many instances for both the Linux partition and the Windows partition of  ""error opening [4}" and "error- password protected file"

The user that ran the smart scan is a priveledged user and was identified as such during installation and confirmed in the /etc/opt/eset/esets/esets.cfg file today.

What other permission or reason might cause this error?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

"Error opening" means the file is currently being accessed (either by system or another application).

"Password protected file" pops us when a file is protected by a password, thus nobody cas access the file without knowing the password.

These messages are common and it is not necessary to be concerned about them.

T.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

"Error opening" means the file is currently being accessed (either by system or another application).

"Password protected file" pops us when a file is protected by a password, thus nobody cas access the file without knowing the password.

These messages are common and it is not necessary to be concerned about them.

T.

..."...not necessary to be concerned about them..." -- this statement does not assure me that my scanning configuration is adequate.

ie...if I run a scan, and it shows 1900000 items scanned, and no threats found...it 'feels' good to know that ESET product is working...

BUT...if I run a scan, and it shows 1900000 items scanned, and the LOG shows 99% files 'error opening'...then, I 'feel' like maybe I am NOT getting proper file scanning accomplished.

You, the trained technician might know 'everything is ok...don't be concerned'...but me, the unknowledgeable end-user of ESET nod 32 Antivirus 9...I don't like seeing any 'error' messages...

Please reassure me that my scan configuration is working.....(should I uncheck the box for MBR files??? etc...)

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Here is some of the thread I have had with your company on a similar problem to this.
--------------------------------------------
ESET June 2016:
Yes it could be due to the difference between Win2000 and Win Vista as Microsoft imposed more stringent file checks within the OS that were not present in Win2000 so this could explain the issue
-----------------------------
Me: June 2016,
It is the difference between Win2000 and Win Vista.

The file below could not be scanned in ESET version 8.
With ESET version 5 in Vista the file also cannot be scanned, whereas with
v5 in Win2000 it can be.

So it looks like v5 and v8 have a problem with Vista, either my setup or generally, I do not know.

-----------------------------------
Me, Dec 2015:

When I scan the same exe file with Vista: ESET Version 8.0.319.0 I get
NSIS - archive damaged
When I scan the same exe file with Win 2000: ESET Version  5.2.9.1Number of
scanned objects: 441
Number of threats found: 0
Time of completion: 17:52:32  Total scanning time: 98 sec (00:01:38)

So V8 is not scanning inside the NSIS archive but V5 is.
I have tried setting it up similar to V5 with no luck.
How can I set up V8 to do the scan or is it a bug?

If you can help, thanks.
Kind regards

• 4 weeks later...

What operation system do you use? I am quite certain you do not use Linux (as EAV v9 is e.g. not available for Linux), so an admin might move this thread.