STOPPING OFFLINE UPDATE ATTMEPTS

I have Windows XP with Eset Smart Security 7.0. blah, blah, whatever.  I have trouble with the smart security trying to update itself when in fact I am offline.  For instance, playing games on my computer (not connected to the internet), it will pull me out of my game, whatever I might be playing, and take me to the desktop.  I believe it is trying to update its VS.  Can I not set this so that it only tries to update when I am connected to the internet?

I do appreciate in advance all insights into this issue.

John

• Administrators

That's not possible. However, while playing games in full-screen mode, gamer mode should activate automatically and updates will be paused as long as gamer mode remains activated.

Thank you for the reply Marcos.  Obviously I don't know what is happening, but everytime I get pulled to my desktop, the SS symbol in the bottom right hand corner of my desktop screen  (Win XP)  has a red-orange color to it with an exclamation mark in the center of its circle like shape.  When I open the Smart Security, under update it always says "virus signature database update ended with an error", without the quotes of course.  I don't know if SS is really the cause of my being pulled back to the desktop, but this is the message that is in SS every time.  Perhaps a weird coincedence?

John

i work offline mostly.  ESS updates keep popping up.  Can i disable this.  Dont worry - i check for updates as soon as i go online.  if i should NOT disable ess updates, let me know.  thanks.

I guess you "could" change the frequency of updates. See hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2781/

I would not encourage disabling the automatic updates...but it is possible. hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2767/You will get a security alert. :unsure:

I do not encourage doing anything that will compromise security. So whatever you choose to do is at your own risk. :huh:

Edited by TomFace

Thank you for the good insights, tips and links to this problem.  I used the links for experimenting and testing different configurations.  After all is said and done, I have decided that the real culprit may very well be that my monitor is gradually flaking out.  It looks like I am now in the market for a good monitor.  Thanks to all who contributed and posted to this thread.  Being able to try the different configurations proved to be extremely valuable for trouble shooting.

John

Edited by Jgn749Cov46&