ESET ERA Update Proxy Appliance w/minor modifications

Go to solution Solved by MartinK,

• ESET Insiders

Just wanted to provide some feedback.

I deployed the ESET ERA Appliance for HTTP Update Caching (the ERA running on TCP 3128) and it is working great for caching updates for our clients. I've read a lot on the forums with end-user frustration with deploying the HTTP Proxy update/cache servers and this was very easy. Just required ticking a box during the web-OVA configuration.

I wanted to note that on all eight servers running updating caching using the OVA, I ran successfully the Linux Agent to include these full-ERA HTTP proxies in the dashboard of our Remote Administrator that handles client tasks. It looks like the ERAAgent installs the SELinux policy and caching works normally after running the agent. In other words, the main ERA server can now communicate with other full ERA servers (not something that can be done during initial setup via the web gui). You can see in the attached picture that these ERA servers are designated with a "02" as they are the second ERA servers at their respective sites and are being controlled from the main ERA web gui. Additionally, since they are rogue detection sensors, they are also reporting in data from detected rogue agents to the main ERA dashboard.

post-9961-0-44532400-1452711664_thumb.png

Edited by BDeep

• ESET Staff

Just a note: for your scenario would be most suitable deploying OVAs as "ESET Remote Administrator Proxy" -> you would have the same caching capabilities as now and in addition also ERA Proxy server that can "mediate" communication between ERA Agents and ERA Server (= communication through port 2222) as described here: hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3639/?locale=en_US

• ESET Insiders

So you are saying deploy ESET proxy (2222) and then install the HTTP Proxy (3128) in that OVA? We could but it would complicate matters for troubleshooting (for us, at least). One VM doing an HTTP Proxy on port 3128 and one VM doing an ESET communication proxy on 2222 simplifies things for us.

Would it be easier for ESET to build an OVA that just deploys the HTTP Apache Proxy server versus deploying a full ERA server and ticking the HTTP proxy box (which is what we did).

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

In case it works as you expected, there is no reason to change :) . I just realized my proposal was not complete replacement for your scenario and it would also need some work ...