phantom account only accessible

I have set up anti-theft yesterday on a surface pro (windows 10). Today my daughter clicked on the phantom account, and suspicious activity was reported to me.

I logged in on-line, and marked the device as not missing. I then rebooted the device, as I could only access the phamtom account.

I still cannot access any other account, (only the phantom account), as the Surface pro log into it at reboot time. The account does not allow me to log off, only shutdown, sleep and restart.

Can anyone let me know how to proceed to recover functionality for my device? :(

Thank you

Herve

• Administrators

Please drop me a pm with your email address you use to log in to my.eset.com portal. Is the notebook connected to the Internet if you log in to the phantom account?

• 1 year later...

I am having the same issue with a Lenovo notebook.  Son signed on via anti-theft account, I got the alert, marked it as not missing.  Now the notebook opens up with the log-on to the phantom account, no other options available, the other accounts do not show up at all.  I can't install any programs on it for him, and I get flooded with suspicious activity emails because he can only use the phantom account now.  Brand new computer with apparently no way to revert it back to not missing status.  Help, the computer is pretty much useless as-is.

I have signed into my eset account from another computer, set it to missing and back several times over several days, but it still remains locked so that the only account available to log into is the phantom account.  I have tried with the affected device turned off as well as with it turned on and connected to the internet.  No results either way.  The link you provided in your reply above indicates the computer will reboot.  It does not.

I have already tried all the tips in Katarina's instructions.  I still have the problem of a computer that only shows the phantom account and does not allow access to the regular accounts or their folders.  I cannot re-install windows from the phantom account.  This is making the machine useless.  How do I recover from this?  Is there someone there I can talk to directly so that we can resolve this?  Thanks

• ESET Staff

Let the notebook run for at least 1-2 hours (with internet connection of course)...

If it doesn't revert in that time, send me a pm with your email registered at my.eset.com and the name of the affected device.

regards,

peter

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2017 at 1:33 PM, metaller said:

Let the notebook run for at least 1-2 hours (with internet connection of course)...

If it doesn't revert in that time, send me a pm with your email registered at my.eset.com and the name of the affected device.

regards,

peter

I already send you my email address that registered at my.eset.com

On 1/18/2017 at 7:43 AM, randraka said:

I have already tried all the tips in Katarina's instructions.  I still have the problem of a computer that only shows the phantom account and does not allow access to the regular accounts or their folders.  I cannot re-install windows from the phantom account.  This is making the machine useless.  How do I recover from this?  Is there someone there I can talk to directly so that we can resolve this?  Thanks

Telephone support was able to resolve this for me, though it took most of the day.   Basically, they needed to boot the computer up in safe mode and log on as an administrator.  As I recall, that took some doing.  When he finally was able to get in, it turned out all the accounts except the phantom account were marked as disabled.  Putting those back to enabled fixed the problem.   I did not make notes of all the steps they took, but there was a lot of effort trying to get into safe mode and getting administrator privilege.  Your mileage may vary.

34 minutes ago, randraka said:

Telephone support was able to resolve this for me, though it took most of the day.   Basically, they needed to boot the computer up in safe mode and log on as an administrator.  As I recall, that took some doing.  When he finally was able to get in, it turned out all the accounts except the phantom account were marked as disabled.  Putting those back to enabled fixed the problem.   I did not make notes of all the steps they took, but there was a lot of effort trying to get into safe mode and getting administrator privilege.  Your mileage may vary.

Thanks Randraka.
I am gonna try. Let's see. is my problem will solved  on not.