How prevent from freezing my OS during nod's signature updates ?

fgh456

Hi

I have some older laptop, but everything is working well on my Windows 7 32 Ultimate.

Only problem causes Nod32 when it is updating few times per day it's virus signature database.

It almost freezes my system for few seconds.

I'm not sure it did same thing in version 8. Now I'm using newest version 9.

I was going to set lower priority to eset gui in task manager, but it refused. I tried to do same thing through sysinternal's Process Explorer run as admin. Also refused.

Please advise me how to stop nod freeze my system. Otherwise I will use other antivirus.

Thanks

• Administrators

Probably your notebook is equipped with a 1 or 2-core CPU. During update, compilation of update files is performed which may utilize one core for several seconds. The cpu utilization is controlled by the operating system. The problem shouldn't be visible on systems with a multi-core CPU.

Yes, I have 2 core cpu. But still I was thinking for long time that Eset's products are the least hardware eating, in compare with other antiviruses. It seems I was wrong.

You said: "The cpu utilization is controlled by the operating system."

- is there a third party tweak utility I may use to force my windows to set different performance pattern for this one task ?

Or what if I will run Nod32 all the time in gaming mode ? Will it less harsh to my cpu ?

Thanks

• Administrators

Yes, I have 2 core cpu. But still I was thinking for long time that Eset's products are the least hardware eating, in compare with other antiviruses. It seems I was wrong.

It still is and will remain among the lightest AVs. You didn't complain about performance issues during normal use when update is not run so I assume it's light on your system as well. Compilation of update files needs to be completed as soon as possible in order to ensure as early protection against new malware as possible. It is a resource intensive process and may be noticeable for a few seconds on older systems if a larger update is being compiled and another resource intensive operation is performed at the same time. As we release very small updates (the current engine update is 14,5 kB in size), compilation should be reasonably quick even on older systems.

I still need to know:

1, Other antiviruses have same hardware demanding as eset ? Will it help me to switch to other av ?

2, You said: "The cpu utilization is controlled by the operating system."

- is there a third party tweak utility I may use to force my windows to set different performance pattern for this one task ?

3, Or what if I will run Nod32 all the time in gaming mode ? Will it less harsh to my cpu ?

Please answer in detail. It's important for me.

Thanks

edit: and few seconds more won't hurt my life. I need to have in eset's products some performance demanding regulation. Eset just can't discriminate low performance pc. Plus this year will be a boom of single board pcs with windows 10 and some small usb stick pcs .... with some full operating system. They all will need a protection. This was really bad step from eset to manage it like this.  And not allow users to regulate those performance lags. 

Edited by fgh456

• Administrators

2, No, you can set the CPU priority via the task manager but I presume the setting will remain only until the next computer restart.

3, Gaming mode shouldn't be kept enabled all the time as it pauses update tasks and signature database updates are not downloaded as long as gamer mode is active.