Eset outlook integration - Safe to remove?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hi,

I am having issues with my outlook 2010 whereby new emails are going into 'draft mode', and are a pain to return to normal. (If anyone has experience with this issue advice is greatly appreciated!) 

After weeks of research I am fairly confident the issue is caused by a combination of Eset outlook integration, and having multiple users access the same accounts on multiple computers. 

My question is twofold - Can I remove all Eset integration with outlook (email scanning, anti-spam), without putting too big a hole in my security? I understand that any viruses or malware will still be picked up by other Eset components. 

Secondly - When I have attempted to disable the integration to test the solution to my issue, Eset is constantly telling me that my emails are not protected and anti-spam is disabled - is there anyway to tell Eset that yes, I am aware of this, but it is intentional and I do not need to see the red exclamation mark.

Kind regards,

Joshua  

Edit  - This is the only other reference to the issue I am having I could find on the forum. Note a lack of a fix or workaround! 

https://forum.eset.com/topic/989-email-message-in-outlook-changed-to-draft-by-eset/?hl=draft 

Edited by Sulaco

• Administrators

If an email is accessed from multiple devices and is modified on some of them, a conflict will occur. This is because ESET writes some informative headers to scanned email and if the same is done simultaneously on another device, it results in a conflict. Not sure though if this is also the reason for messages switching to draft mode. I'd suggest contacting Customer care who should provide you with a logging version of the Outlook plug-in dlls.

Thank you Marcos. I will contact Customer care right away. In the meantime as a rough workaround I have disabled outlook integration on all PC's that share a mailbox and this has seemed to resolve our issue. I suppose my question is how big a hole have I put in our security whilst I wait for a proper fix/workaround? Thanks 

Also worth noting that it appears the draft issue is more prevalent at the start of every month. For three days beginning on the 1st, roughly 70-100% of emails coming in would be sent into draft mode, whereas now (before my rough workaround) only about 10-20% would be affected. 

• Administrators
  • Solution

By disabling integration with an email client basically you'll lose only the antispam filter. As long as POP3(S) or IMAP(S) protocol is used, received email will be scanned for malware regardless of the email client used.