Document Protection - Enable vs. System Integration

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

This is probably clear to everyone else in the world but I'm not seeing the answer in the File Security or Remote Administrator Console user guides so here goes.

In the Remote Administrator (version 5.0.511) Policy editor, I have, under the following path:

Windows Server v4.5 -> File Security 4.5 for MS Windows Server -> Computer Protection -> Document Protection I have two options that I'm hoping to get clarification on -

Enable Document Protection - which is set to YES by default

System Integration - which is set to NO by default.

I understand what Document Protection is, and what it does, but what about these two settings?  To me, if Document Protection is enabled, then it is integrated into the system.  Is this not the case?

• Administrators

Enabling Document protection integration will effectively register it in the registry (due to a bug in MS Office causing performance issues, it's disabled by default). Enabling or disabling Document protection will enable or disable document scanning via VSAPI (possible only with integration enabled).

I'm sorry I'm not understanding this answer?  :huh:   I'll reword this question to see if that helps -

Will Document Protection work if you leave the policy as is in the Remote Administrator Policy Editor? - the default setting has "Enable Document Protection" set to YES, and System Integration set to No. 

I would like to understand what the difference is between these two settings as well

• Administrators
  • Solution

No, it won't work. Firts, Document protection must be integrated in the system. Only after then you can control whether it scans documents or not.

As I wrote, I wouldn't recommend enabling integration as it may affect system performance due to a bug in MS Office. Even with document protection disabled, real-time protection will scan MS Office documents anyway.

• 3 years later...
  • Administrators
9 minutes ago, LocknetSSmith said:

Is this bug within MS Office still a problem regarding Document Protection?

I'm not aware of any fix for the issue that we discovered in the past. Anyways, as long as you have real-time protection enabled (and it should always be enabled), documents as well as other files will be scanned by it.