? Detect word macro virus

wolliballa

You might have heard about current spams containing contaminated word docs ( dangerous macros opening backdoors ).

hxxp://www.heise.de/security/meldung/Gefaehrliches-Duo-Erpressungstrojaner-kommt-mit-Word-Datei-3039927.html

Any chance that at some time NOD32 will detect them as dangerous at least durign opening?

Had this piece of > 5x this week in my mailbox

• Administrators

Do you mean you would like to have every document containing a macro detected? Regardless of whether it's innocuous or malicious? Such malware is detected by ESET, however, it may get to your inbox as an update is required to cover fresh variants which takes some time.

Or .............. just don't respond "Yes" for any reason to the prompt you will receive from Word to enable macro processing when opening an e-mail from a non-trusted source. Macros are disable by default in Word. And you should not change that default setting.

Edited by itman

Me as a professional probably would not enable macros for viewing an invoice. But the average user possibly would do, because the mail might come from a known source (yes, not faked adresses).....

This is what Microsoft recommends as prime action: Install AV Software which is able to detect macro viruses.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/233396

Obviously my beloved NOD32 is not on that list.

Edited by wolliballa