"Failed to read Firewall configuration" after latest VSD or module update.

Right after startup, ESS got updated to 8660P, then I opened my browser, but nothing loaded, I tried another browser same thing. Then I rebooted, and when the desktop showed up I saw an error "Failed to read firewall configuration" and the firewall is gone in the traymenu, and nowhere to be found in the GUI either. But the browser/s loads websites just fine after the reboot, probably since the firewall locked things up before I rebooted.

So something happened after I got updated to 8660P, as the error first showed up after I rebooted to see if the connecion issue went away, wich it did.

On this PC I use an older version of ESS 5.0.94.0 (I know it's not the latest), also and I have not updated any softwares, Windows updates etc etc etc... yesterday. So it must be connected to the latest updates today ESET VSD updates, or module update below... 

The only module that got updated today is the Advanced Antispam Module wich got updated to 1425P.

And just for the sake of it I rebooted again, and the error is still there, and no firewall to be found in the GUIs.

And this is on Win XP SP3 fully updated. 

I don't have time to do this now i'll just have to live with the error and without the firewall for the time being, it's possible I will do the logs in the weekend. But I also want to point out, at startup the VSD's got downloaded as usual today, but after that no more VSD updates get's downloaded automatically, and even if one push the update button in the GUI nothing happens, the update section in the GUI is not responding.

Guest Bob Campbell

I am having a similar problem... after updating it could no longer recognize my firewall configuration... it suggested that I de-install eset and reinstall-- which I did... same problem, no improvement.  This should not be happening... bob campbell

• ESET Moderators

We've found out that the recent Internet protection module 1073 might have caused ekrn crashes on systems powered by CPUs from 2001 and older (2004 and older for AMD CPUs). Updating to the latest version of Internet protection module 1076 (released yesterday) should solve the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I get this error regularly.  I run the firewall in interactive mode and the error always changes the position of the firewall prompt to the far left of the display.  It happens to all users who use the computer and is extremely annoying.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ESS, then re-doing all my rules one by one but the problem persists.

I get this error regularly.  I run the firewall in interactive mode and the error always changes the position of the firewall prompt to the far left of the display.  It happens to all users who use the computer and is extremely annoying.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ESS, then re-doing all my rules one by one but the problem persists.

Hi nick,

I got rid of this warning after I uninstalled V5 wich was the version I had installed, and installed the latest ESS V7 BETA. And I have not seen this warning after installing the V7 BETA. And the reason is that V5 is an old version and I simply didn't want ESET to fix a problem in an old version. And I also wanted to find out if I would see this error in V7 too, but I don't so whatever it was that caused it in V5 is unkown. But problem gone in V7 and I am happy.  :D