custom set hostname of client when using eraagentinstaller.bat

We're using ESET RA for a host of different clients and now when we install the agent, we're getting their external hostname and not the hostname of the machine. So for example, we're getting a lot of cpe-x-x-x-x-.ext-domain.rr.com and can't tell the machines apart. Is there a way with the batch file to specify the hostname that we'd like to use with the agent?

Thanks!

• ESET Staff

We're using ESET RA for a host of different clients and now when we install the agent, we're getting their external hostname and not the hostname of the machine. So for example, we're getting a lot of cpe-x-x-x-x-.ext-domain.rr.com and can't tell the machines apart. Is there a way with the batch file to specify the hostname that we'd like to use with the agent?

Thanks!

Hello,

unfortunately that is not possible. Computer name you see in console is based on reverse DNS resolving of IP that client connected from. I would recommend to use either of:

• Server task "Rename Computers" which will rename computer to FQDN reported by clients (the same value you see in "Client details").
  • Manually renaming computers, i.e. using "Rename multiple items" in clients view

• Administrators

Is there a way to do this outside of the batch file? Possibly with the MSI file it downloads?

You can accomplish the above suggestions via the ERA console.

Remember that if you click the details for a client and scroll to the bottom you can see the computer name. We just copy-paste that from the bottom of the screen and paste it into the input field at the top of the screen.

Jim

Am I missing something here?!

In the latest 6.2 ERA there is a server task which automatically renames clients based on their local computer name or FQDN.

Admin > Server Tasks > Automatic renaming of synchronized computers to FQDN format.

All I do is assign a trigger to it so it runs every 5mins, that way the clients always show their computer name within the console and not their external hostname.

Edit: Oh I should point out that by default it only renames computers within the 'Computers' group. Assign it to 'All' and never have to worry about wrong computers names showing in the console again.

Edited by davidpitt