Login failed: Communication error

Hi,

We have an issue with Remote Administrator 6.2. I can't login anymore after an update done by the console itself. I can't login anymore, I get Login failed: Communication error.

I've reinstalled Remote Administrator AND Web console but still getting the same error.

What can I do?

• ESET Staff

Hi,

We have an issue with Remote Administrator 6.2. I can't login anymore after an update done by the console itself. I can't login anymore, I get Login failed: Communication error.

I've reinstalled Remote Administrator AND Web console but still getting the same error.

What can I do?

Hello,

could you please verify that "ESET Remote Administrator Server" is running (or even more check that process ERAServer is listening on port 2223) as most common reason for this "Communication error" is not running ERA Server. In case ERA Server was running, try to restart "Apache Tomcat" service that is hosting Webconsole. In case ERA Server was not running, please search trace.log for possible start-up issues.

I cannot reinstall SQL as other software uses it. When reinstalling the server part, I did create a new database though.

The service is running. Already tried restarting Apache from Systray.

I can connect using: telnet locahost 2223 but I get weird prompt : smily and heart icons. Not sure if it's normal.

Thanks

• ESET Staff

I cannot reinstall SQL as other software uses it. When reinstalling the server part, I did create a new database though.

The service is running. Already tried restarting Apache from Systray.

I can connect using: telnet locahost 2223 but I get weird prompt : smily and heart icons. Not sure if it's normal.

Thanks

Hello,

seems server response is correct (you should receive about binary bytes).

In case services are running, problem could be also:

• incompatible versions of Webconsole and ERA Server ... when reinstalling, installers were from one "release" package?
  • Webconsole prefers IPv4 TCP connection and fails this way in case ERA Server is listening only on IPv6 port (i.e. check ERA Server is listening on both IPv4 and IPv6 ports using "netstat -an" command)
  • Webconsole is connecting to different IP than localhost (this can be set in EraWebServerConfig.properties file). Please find mentioned file in webapps/era/ subdirectory and check values server_address and server_port to be valid (defaults are localhost and 2223).

Yep, freshly downloaded from the website.

Netstat -an | find "2222" gives me:

TCP 0.0.0.0:2222            0.0.0.0:0            LISTENING

TCP 127.0.0.1:50115       127.0.0.1:2222   TIME_WAIT

TCP 127.0.0.1:50123       127.0.0.1:2222   TIME_WAIT
TCP 127.0.0.1:50128       127.0.0.1:2222   TIME_WAIT
TCP 127.0.0.1:50136       127.0.0.1:2222   TIME_WAIT
TCP 127.0.0.1:50140       127.0.0.1:2222   TIME_WAIT

TCP [::]:2222                     [::]:0                LISTENING

UDP 0.0.0.0:62222            *.*                   LISTENING

Netstat -an | find "2223" gives me:

TCP 0.0.0.0:2223             0.0.0.0:0             LISTENING

TCP [::]:2223                    [::]:0                    LISTENING

UDP 0.0.0.0:62223           *.*

Is it normal that the file was in so many subdirectories?

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\webapps\era\WEB-INF\classes\sk\eset\era\g2webconsole\server\modules\config.

Settings in it are localhost and 2223

Also, the Login failed error is almost instantly. As soon as I click Login (whether I put a password or not), I get the error

Thanks

• ESET Staff

Yep, freshly downloaded from the website.

Netstat -an | find "2222" gives me:

TCP 0.0.0.0:2222            0.0.0.0:0            LISTENING

TCP 127.0.0.1:50115       127.0.0.1:2222   TIME_WAIT

TCP 127.0.0.1:50123       127.0.0.1:2222   TIME_WAIT
TCP 127.0.0.1:50128       127.0.0.1:2222   TIME_WAIT
TCP 127.0.0.1:50136       127.0.0.1:2222   TIME_WAIT
TCP 127.0.0.1:50140       127.0.0.1:2222   TIME_WAIT

TCP [::]:2222                     [::]:0                LISTENING

UDP 0.0.0.0:62222            *.*                   LISTENING

Netstat -an | find "2223" gives me:

TCP 0.0.0.0:2223             0.0.0.0:0             LISTENING

TCP [::]:2223                    [::]:0                    LISTENING

UDP 0.0.0.0:62223           *.*

Is it normal that the file was in so many subdirectories?

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\webapps\era\WEB-INF\classes\sk\eset\era\g2webconsole\server\modules\config.

Settings in it are localhost and 2223

Also, the Login failed error is almost instantly. As soon as I click Login (whether I put a password or not), I get the error

Thanks

Webconsole configuration and ERA seems to be OK.

Have you searched the ERA SERVER trace log for related errors? (C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\Logs\trace.log)

If possible, try to login using different browser / computer to be sure it has nothing to do with cached files or cookies (incognito/private mode should be sufficient).

In case connection failure is instant, I suspect it may problem in Apache Tomcat or Java itself -> any chance you updated/change your java runtime (jre)? Please try to search C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\Logs\ for erorrs related to connection attempt -> maybe you will find out connection failure reason (it may be problem with SSL certificate validation). I would also check whether there is any connection attempt made during login (wireshark or tcpview tools)

• ESET Staff

Since all was reinstalled, with a new DB, will my station get back into the remote administrator console or do I have to add them manually?

It depends whether you back-uped certificates before reinstallation or not ...

In case you have not restored certificates from backup you will be currently facing two major issues in connection of AGENTs:

• AGENTs will reject connection to SERVER because they will be missing CA certificate of new SERVER certificate
  • SERVER will reject AGENTs because it will be missing CA certificate that was used to sign AGENT peer certificate.

With missing certificates, there is no way around -> you have to repair AGENT installations (Remote installation, live installer - newly generated or manual repair)

How to restore certificates from backup in case you have them (they can be extracted from DB backup with some effort if available):

1. import back-up of CA certificates (public parts only) from old SERVER instance to new SERVER installation (using Webconsole)
  2. change SERVER certificate (Admin -> Server settings) to back-uped certificate
  3. [optional] wait some time until all AGENTs have connected (to be sure you can wait even days)
  4. [optional] you can change SERVER certificate to the one created during new SERVER installation and stop using old certificate

Make sure you perform first two steps in this specific order, otherwise chance to restore connection will be lost.

• 3 months later...

Same Problem after upgrading Console from 6.2.155.0 -> 6.3.114.0

Reopen the webpage solved it. (Funny that restart the tomcat and even reboot the whole vm did not solve it)

Edited by Megachip