Hating the banking protection in version 9

I'm really not liking the banking protection in ESS 9. The biggest thing I don't like about it is that a new secured browser window is opened (in Chrome) on top of the other Chrome windows that may already be opened. It makes for a confusing mess.

Also, sometimes the secured banking window does not open (or is even offered) when I log into my mega bank (Chase). When the secured window does work there have been a good number of times I receive username/password error messages, or I have to receive a text from the bank so they will recognize my computer.

Conversely/strangely, ESET banking protection seems to work reliably, for the most part, when I log into my small, local credit union, haven't had too many problems.

I'd like to see ESET take a lesson from Webroot on this banking protection stuff. Webroot doesn't need to launch a separate new window for its banking protection to work, it protects from the get-go in the browser that is open/being used. They must know what they're doing because they received the prestigious MRG-Effitas award for banking protection.

ESET, please go back to the drawing board and get rid of the new secured browser window/tab that needs to open and just copy how Webroot does it.

Edited by PPQ

• Administrators

If you don't want to use Banking and Payment protection, you can disable it. A secured browser must open in a new window, otherwise also all other add-ons and plug-ins would be loaded, some of which may pose a security risk.

If you are having issues with a particular bank site, please report it to customer care and they'll be happy to assist you with pinpointing the issue.

If you don't want to use Banking and Payment protection, you can disable it. A secured browser must open in a new window, otherwise also all other add-ons and plug-ins would be loaded, some of which may pose a security risk.

If you are having issues with a particular bank site, please report it to customer care and they'll be happy to assist you with pinpointing the issue.

Thanks for the reply and info Marcos. I will try to contact customer care about this.

I'm still wondering though how is Webroot able to have a secure (MRG-Effitas award winning) session without having to launch a new window?

• ESET Moderators

I do think you should work with customer care on the issue, but from a purely self-support perspective to help users, we do have the following KB article if you choose to disable BPP:

How do I disable Banking & Payment protection in ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus? 

Also, regarding opening in a new window, it's not recommended to use the BPP for regular browsing (some of the reasons that Marcos mentioned), which could confuse people if it ran in the existing window (meaning, users may not know if they are running in BPP or not). 

The problem is happening when using the regular (unsecured) Chrome browser and trying to log into my mega bank or local credit union. ESET BPP is set to launch secure browser for these banks. Chrome browser initiates the login and then the BPP kicks in and starts another login simultaneously giving two logins at the same time, then the error messages appear.

The solution is to just open the ESET BPP browser, bypass the regular Chrome browser, and login from there for online banking. Haven't had any problems since proceeding this way.

• Administrators

The problem is happening when using the regular (unsecured) Chrome browser and trying to log into my mega bank or local credit union. ESET BPP is set to launch secure browser for these banks. Chrome browser initiates the login and then the BPP kicks in and starts another login simultaneously giving two logins at the same time, then the error messages appear.

The solution is to just open the ESET BPP browser, bypass the regular Chrome browser, and login from there for online banking. Haven't had any problems since proceeding this way.

What is the url of your bank's authorization website where you enter your login data?

I do think you should work with customer care on the issue, but from a purely self-support perspective to help users, we do have the following KB article if you choose to disable BPP:

How do I disable Banking & Payment protection in ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus? 

Also, regarding opening in a new window, it's not recommended to use the BPP for regular browsing (some of the reasons that Marcos mentioned), which could confuse people if it ran in the existing window (meaning, users may not know if they are running in BPP or not). 

Thank you, I've passed this info to our engineers. It should be fixed via an automatic update probably tomorrow (Monday).

Thank you for your help on getting this fixed.

• Administrators

Thank you, I've passed this info to our engineers. It should be fixed via an automatic update probably tomorrow (Monday).

Thank you for your help on getting this fixed.

It's just that the list of bank websites we use may not be complete. If a secure browser is not opened on a bank's login page, please report it to Customer care. Also you can notify us here in this forum.