ESET SS 9 on Windows 10 Pro Issue on Shut down, Restart and Sleep

ESET SS 9 on Windows 10 Pro: After installing ESS (free 30-day trial), sometimes (not every time), the computer Shut down, Restart and Sleep are very slow (take several minutes) and sometimes the system freezes. The last time when I want to put the system on Sleep mode my system froze - the screen is turned OFF but the system power, system fan and HDD led were still ON for along time (6 hours approx.). Knowing that, when I uninstall ESS, everything is working well with Windows Defender.

In addition, I have tried the followings with no results and the issue still the same:
- I uninstalled then reinstalled the ESS9.
- I uninstalled ESS and previously installed UVs (Symantec EPP) manually using the ESET Uninstaller by following the steps provided by ESET (hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2289/#Windows10).

Knowing that I had the same issue with ESS 8 on Windows 8.1 Pro before upgrading to Windows 10 and ESS 8 on Windows 10 Pro after upgrading.

I have tested (ESET NOD32 9) on the same system for a short time, and it doesn't have this issue and worked smoothly.

Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't trust Eset's uninstaller to remove all of Symantec EPP. Run any available Symantec EPP clean utility to uninstall it. Also I check to see if the Symantec EPP clean utility only works for currently installed EPP products. Some of these endpoint uninstallers don't remove left over remnants from a previous Windows add/remove programs initiated uninstall.  

• Administrators

You can also try renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys in safe mode, one at a time, make a difference?

Thank you for your reply.

Itman:

The version of SEP I used was 12.1.5. I did not find any specific tool from Symantec to uninstall this version from Windows 10. Moreover, I ran the ESET tool again (in safe mode) and it showed that there is no antivirus in the system. Then I reinstalled ESS.

Marcos:

Renaming the files to what? Knowing that these files are ESET’s system files (NOD32) as I see in their properties window.

Logically in my opinion, since this issue appears in ESET Smart Security not in NOD32 nor in SEP and Windows Defender, there is a problem in stopping an ESS service on Shut down/Restart/Sleep and this service is not included in NOD32.

I am planning to reset (or reinstall) my system then reinstall ESS in clean system to avoid any possibilities of conflicting between ESS with a service, application, AV, deriver, or any unknown error occurred during the upgrade process. So, let us see what will happen. If I was the only one who experiences this problem, this will solve the problem, I think.

Edited by SMK

Itman:

The version of SEP I used was 12.1.5. I did not find any specific tool from Symantec to uninstall this version from Windows 10. Moreover, I ran the ESET tool again (in safe mode) and it showed that there is no antivirus in the system. Then I reinstalled ESS.

I was referring to the CleanWipe utility. Should be located in the installation cd/ISO directory named Tools. 

Don't know if that ver. works for WIN 10. You might want to contact Symantec on that.