ESS 9 slows Google Chrome browsing

I have. Firefox is faster. But it's still the ESS's fault when it comes to Chrome.

I had Bitdefender before ESS and the same problem with Chrome. Then I uninstalled BitDefender and Chrome became fast. And then I installed ESS and now, once again, Chrome is slow.

If others findout chrome are slower when using v9, try to disable ssl scanner option on

setup>advance option>web and email>Ssl Tls 

untick the ssl/tls protocol .

And tried again. If it fix yours problem, then you are lucky. Its hard to recreate the situation, even im facing some issues with my clent laptop with eset V9 but only few. And i cant recreate the situation that i can reported to eset. 

FF was slow with ssl disabled , i haven't used ssl scanning  for years due to the un fixed issue that caused issues with the windows process Lsass.exe  and the root cert didn't work properly anyway

If others findout chrome are slower when using v9, try to disable ssl scanner option on

setup>advance option>web and email>Ssl Tls 

untick the ssl/tls protocol .

And tried again. If it fix yours problem, then you are lucky. Its hard to recreate the situation, even im facing some issues with my clent laptop with eset V9 but only few. And i cant recreate the situation that i can reported to eset. 

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 (after a brief foray into 10) and so I ended up upgrading to ESS9 at the same time. The first thing I noticed was that browsing in Chrome (x64) was brutally slow to load many pages. Totally unusable. Disabling SSL/TLS Protocol Filtering seems to have fixed it. Was it disabled by default in ESS8? Is there any risk in disabling it?

Another thing that seems to be broken for me is Banking and Payment Protection. Nothing happens.

• 3 months later...

I found a solution for slow Chrome because of the ESS or Bitdefender or any other AV.

1. Open cmd in admin mode

2. bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off 

3. restart!

Let me know how it went!

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

This issue was never resolved on Windows 7, but it looks like it might be best to keep SSL/TLS protocol filtering disabled anyway:

hxxp://users.encs.concordia.ca/~mmannan/publications/ssl-interception-ndss2016.pdf

The ESET root certificate is not pre-generated. Keeping SSL filtering enabled is strongly recommended and safer than having it disabled as the number of malware that utilizes encrypted communication is rising. With SSL scanning disabled, your system might be vulnerable to such malware.

This issue was never resolved on Windows 7, but it looks like it might be best to keep SSL/TLS protocol filtering disabled anyway:

hxxp://users.encs.concordia.ca/~mmannan/publications/ssl-interception-ndss2016.pdf

The ESET root certificate is not pre-generated. Keeping SSL filtering enabled is strongly recommended and safer than having it disabled as the number of malware that utilizes encrypted communication is rising. With SSL scanning disabled, your system might be vulnerable to such malware.

That doesn't address all of the issues raised in the article, and it's also irrelevant to Chrome users on Windows 7 because having the filter enabled makes the browser completely unusable. Do you have any comment on this Chrome problem? Why does it not seem to affect Windows 10?

Edited by Oubadah

• Administrators

I have SSL scanning enabled and use Chrome on Windows 7 without any issues. Also I don't recall that anybody has complained about any such issues with Chrome on Windows 7.

The document is very valid marcos, its sad that eset keep telling people to ignore this stuff instead of redesigning the way they scan https traffic to be TLS RFC compliant.