ESET SS v7 Memory leak since V9 released

I currently run ESS V7  due to esets overkill in v8 and onwards , today after a little browsing of the web using the latest version of fire-fox the EKRN.EXE process is hogging some 890,940k of ram  is this some kind of standing joke eset?

The reason i chose eset was because it wasn't a resource hog that over the years has changed  as it now is such a hog, releasing new versions every year with more and more bloat

Some of us do not need all the bloat no one is catering for us it would seem

Whats happening regarding this obvious memory leak, will it be fixed or is eset washing it's hands of older versions now?

Virus signature database: 12539 (20151109)
Rapid Response module: 6982 (20151109)
Update module: 1060 (20150617)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1472 (20150930)
Advanced heuristics module: 1162 (20150923)
Archive support module: 1239 (20150929)
Cleaner module: 1114 (20151004)
Anti-Stealth support module: 1083 (20150819)
Personal firewall module: 1285.4 (20151015)
Antispam module: 1029 (20141103)
ESET SysInspector module: 1254 (20150924)
Real-time file system protection module: 1010 (20150806)
Translation support module: 1411.3 (20151009)
HIPS support module: 1203 (20151026)
Internet protection module: 1226 (20151005)
Web content filter module: 1046 (20150925)
Advanced antispam module: 2760 (20151109)
Database module: 1072 (20150831)
LiveGrid communication module: 1020 (20150807)
Specialized cleaner module: 1010 (20141118)

Edited by tommy456

• Administrators

No, the standard memory amount of memory that ekrn.exe allocates is 100-150 MB. If it grows above this amount and you can reproduce it easily, disable self-defense, restart the computer and create a complete application dump of ekrn.exe using Procdump by running "procdump -ma ekrn" with elevated admin rights.

So just to be clear on what you meant run proc dump using -ma ekrn command when it is hogging nearly a 1gb of ram? but before i will be able to create a dmp of ekrn.exe i will have to disable eset's self defence and reboot ?

• Most Valued Members

yes.

Click the Start button .

In the Search box, type command prompt.
    In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

this is an elevated command prompt.

My ESET service (ekrn.exe) v9.318 is running with 189,8mb at the moment. Sometimes efter hours it can come up to around 200mb.

Seeems to run just fine though. Haven't noticed anything weird yet.

So thats too much ram and a leak?

Ok, i have created a DMP file  of 345mb in size  as per instructions, i can if needed wait a short time longer until EKRN.EXE  eats/hogs more memory , or i can rar/zip the DMP i have already and upload on to eset FTP server, please advise what would be better

• Most Valued Members

upload it to a safe location (eg. dropbox, onedrive, google drive) and then send a PM to Marcos with the link to download it.

Is there any update / progress being made on this issue? I created the Dump file, uploaded it ,PM,ed The file name and info where i uploaded it to ask requested, But nothing since, I also appears that the PM hasn't even been read, So a pointless exercise so far, And rapidly looking like i first thought  eset aren't interested in fixing what they have broken

I took the issue up with support, and their answer was that although v7 will continue to receive virus sigs  ect it isn't being developed any longer, so  a eset cop out,!!!!! Looks like their normally good support as gone down the pan as well as them releasing a product that works out of the box and doesn't break earlier versions

So i clean installed a fully supported version just for laughs really, and guess what the very same memory leak in eset's main process is still there, just as it would be if i installed the bloated v9 , so what are eset going to do about this ignore it like they have basically ignored me, since i uploaded a dmp file ?

IMO the underlying reason for this could lie with any of the primary program modules that were pushed from esets servers and installed to eset without the end user consenting or even being asked /prompted, even though their eset client was set not to download program components automatically, program modules are components are they not? lack of respect for end user imo

Virus signature database: 12594 (20151119)
Rapid Response module: 7041 (20151119)
Update module: 1060 (20150617)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1474 (20151111)
Advanced heuristics module: 1162 (20150923)
Archive support module: 1239 (20150929)
Cleaner module: 1114 (20151004)
Anti-Stealth support module: 1083 (20150819)
Personal firewall module: 1285.4 (20151015)
Antispam module: 1029 (20141103)
ESET SysInspector module: 1254 (20150924)
Real-time file system protection module: 1010 (20150806)
Translation support module: 1411.3 (20151009)
HIPS support module: 1203 (20151026)
Internet protection module: 1226 (20151005)
Web content filter module: 1046 (20150925)
Advanced antispam module: 2813 (20151119)
Database module: 1072 (20150831)
LiveGrid communication module: 1020 (20150807)
Specialized cleaner module: 1010 (20141118)

Edited by tommy456

• Most Valued Members

v9 is not bloated, and soon they will release a new update with fixes and improvements. why don't you install it?

it's a common thing among companies not to fix stuff that don't really affect usage on versions that are several years old.

Why, because there is at least one other end user  who is running v9 and also has your poxy memory leak, And i do not need the extra bloat of version 9, i am a online gamer i do not want or need extra processes running  in the background that are simply not needed , i also ain't your average dumb sheeple end user so don't need or want a extra browser, (that doesn't work with many bank in the EU and uk) , i know i ain't being redirected to a fake site, ect ect,

This type of problem occurs every time eset release a new version, and has done since they jumped on the must release something new every year bandwagon it's nonsense,.

I want something that just works like it did with version 4

So you don't support version 7 but you do support/ develop version 8  which is only 18mths old at the most ,so just fix it, or you will loose several loyal customers,

Edited by tommy456

• Most Valued Members

1. please explain me what you think is bloated.

2. who told you that there is a web browser included with the eset products?

3. the same features and a few extra are present since v8.

4. plus the processes that run in v7 are the same that v8-9 uses.

you think this is too bloated or using too many resources?

post-382-0-49101300-1447981749_thumb.jpg

Edited by pavilion_alex

ESET EKRN.exe Process starts of using 118-120mb  both version 7 and 8 , and i have no doubts whatsoever v9 would be the same if not higher, eset broke a working product imo and therefore should fix it ,

https://forum.eset.com/topic/6654-ess-9-slows-google-chrome-browsing/also firefox

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb5657/shows info regarding the addition of eset secure browser ,(bloat) yet you aren't aware of it?

I have not incentive or inclination to install version 9  so a waste of time asking me to do this

• Most Valued Members

the Banking and Payment protection is an extra feature that runs with the web browsers already installed in the pc, it doesn't install a new web browser by itself.

do you honestly consider a new feature designed to protect it's customers bloatware? then i think you have a wrong definition of what bloatware means.

as for the chrome/FF issue i didn't notice anything, and i use both on almost a daily basis.

some incidents are isolated and not applicable to every person using the same software.

and no one is forcing you to install something you don't want.

Edited by pavilion_alex

When it doesn't work as intended ,or doesn't work with banking sites in central and western EU yes i do, and it's not something that i need or want, slowing the browser down or blocking websites it shouldn't block  plus eset referred to it as a secure browser,

Like i said I'm not interested in being a beta tester guinea pig for no reward

And i did not come here to argue about the latest version, I'm not interested in installing it, So they had better unbreak eset  before some say enough is enough and find something that works out of the box

Well the cynic in me tried your version 9 ,again clean install ,and ekrn.exe after windows loading was 150+mb this increased  every time a browser was opened and each web page opened  ,e-mail client same after these applications where closed eset held the same amount of ram, and upon attempting to download a 10gb file, using a download manager  MINI DM that allows up-to 10 threads

When set at the normal 6 threads ekrn.exe consumed both  ram and virtual memory (page file) very quickly  even with only 2 threads downloading it made no difference, so much so i could not of completed downloading the file without running out of free ram first  EKRN.exe process was showing over 1gb in size, which it did not release after i stopped the download  and closed the process/application

Secure integration in to web browser  doesn't work, it will not load the web page ,in fact it crashes /hangs (firefox set as default browser)

Then there is the delay of 20 seconds or more from clicking on the short cut for my e-mail client (outlook express) to it loading , hangs on the splash screen  to long, then a shorter delay before i can open any e-mails, ?????

Asimilar delay is experienced when launching other apps/browsers eset ss v9 slows everything down , it clearly should still be a beta version as it wasn't ready for release IMO , and before i forget  the latest version of the ESET un-installer version 7.0.6.0 although removes the remnants of  v9 hangs /window won't close on the pressing of any key

Although i am aware that all what i have reported here will fall on deaf ears and result in no further progress as far as them finding and fixing this memory leak is concerned,  I'm now past caring but i do this for the benefit of other potential customers who hopefully will read this before spending their money

Edited by tommy456