https scanner completely blocking access to https sites

As the topic says!  This has just started happening with Smart Security 9 and all sites using https are blocked in all browsers with https scanning enabled under Web Protocol Filtering.  Only disabling this option restores access.

I have tried IE11, Edge and Firefox and all present a page stating "Secure Connection Failed"

I have uninstalled and re-installed Smart Security but the problem remains.  I've sorted this on one PC by restoring the PC from a backup from before V9 was installed and re-installing V8.

The status of the modules is as follows on the affected PC:

Virus signature database: 12538 (20151109)
Rapid Response module: 6980 (20151109)
Update module: 1060 (20150617)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1472 (20150930)
Advanced heuristics module: 1162 (20150923)
Archive support module: 1239 (20150929)
Cleaner module: 1114 (20151004)
Anti-Stealth support module: 1086 (20151009)
Personal firewall module: 1289 (20151019)
ESET SysInspector module: 1254 (20150924)
Real-time file system protection module: 1010 (20150806)
Translation support module: 1411.3 (20151009)
HIPS support module: 1200 (20151001)
Internet protection module: 1231 (20151104)
Web content filter module: 1046 (20150925)
Advanced antispam module: 2759 (20151109)
Database module: 1072 (20150831)
Configuration module (33): 1191B.3 (20151009)
LiveGrid communication module: 1020 (20150807)
Specialized cleaner module: 1010 (20141118)
Banking & payment protection module: 1054 (20151104)

I had exactly the same problem with version 9 ( i use windows 10 ).

With help of the dutch eset support desk i went back to version 8

I had the same issue. Received advice from Eset support to uninstall and reinstall ESS 9. However, same as last time my license key does not work when trying to activate ESS 9. Couple of weeks back it took remote support about an hour to get it working. Therefore now decided to reinstall version 8 of which I know that it performs well.

• Administrators

I had the same issue. Received advice from Eset support to uninstall and reinstall ESS 9. However, same as last time my license key does not work when trying to activate ESS 9. Couple of weeks back it took remote support about an hour to get it working. Therefore now decided to reinstall version 8 of which I know that it performs well.

Please pm me your public license ID. Your license key shouldn't work only if you attempted to install ESET Smart Security v9 but you purchased ESET NOD32 Antivirus and the license was issued for that product.

• Administrators

The same issue would probably occur with v8 if you activated SSL scanning. In older versions it's disabled by default but enabled as of v9.

Could you please post a screen shot of the error? Isn't there any additional explanation of the error?

Screenshot attached.. There's no additional explanation and other browsers give similar errors.

post-4884-0-35318800-1447196256_thumb.jpg

Edited by paul0363

The same issue would probably occur with v8 if you activated SSL scanning. In older versions it's disabled by default but enabled as of v9.

I have turned on ssl scanning in version 8 and found no problems.

• Administrators

Could you please post a screen shot of the error? Isn't there any additional explanation of the error?

Screenshot attached.. There's no additional explanation and other browsers give similar errors.

If you are willing, we could arrange a remote session. We'd check it out and make logs that would help us pinpoint the issue.

I had this issue also and because it wouldn't even let me access this forum I never found the fix that the original op had applied to solve it.

In the end I uninstalled the product checked here and went back to v8 like someone else did, if I can help it I wont return to v9 as v8 interface and version is alot smoother and less clunky plus it seems more polished than v9. I just recently purchased the product and it was not a very good first impressions having my internet break on me but im willing to give the product more time as it is new to see if it settles in ok. 

• ESET Insiders

It's interesting that after buying a license last night and installing this on my desktop and laptop, the laptop is fine, but SSL sites were not reachable at all on the desktop. I had to disable SSL scanning to get it to work. As another user pointed out, this forum cannot be accessed while this problem is present. I hope these issues are fixed soon. Though I purchsed this product knowing there were issues, I have not been able to find another that did not have some. This is a terrible moment in time for Windows 10 and security software.

This is a terrible moment in time for Windows 10 and security software.

It appears I have also joined ESET at a very bad time. Also facing this issue, not on all sites, facebook works, but https://willhaben.at just gives connection reset even when disabling firewall and protection. As soon as uninstalled (no reboot) the site works again. Currently ESET is causing more issues for me than all of my previous AVs combined. But since I heard much good about ESET I trust it will be fixed in time. :)

Meanwhile the only workaround seems to be disabling HTTP and HTTPS Scanner. This issue affects 2 notebooks I own, both have MBAM installed, I'll do a quick check if related to MBAM. Edit: Stopping MBAM does not fix the issue.

Edited by iFlame

Meanwhile the only workaround seems to be disabling HTTP and HTTPS Scanner. This issue affects 2 notebooks I own, both have MBAM installed, I'll do a quick check if related to MBAM. Edit: Stopping MBAM does not fix the issue.

Disabling HTTPS (SSL Scanning) should be enough, no?

Indeed. IMO, its the software industry - with the OS manufacturers in the lead that creates more problems these days than they actually solve.

Like I said elsewhere....

I am not a fan of rapid release schedules in general (not including patches and security improvements of course), and if MS (not sure what the latest from MS is) aims to release new versions of Windows more often, like every year, my feeling is that little (or bigger) quirks and bugs will always be a problem - as when the vendor has fixed all reported problems so it is supposed to work good for everyone - it's time for a new OS and new product version - and so it starts all over again, unless the user decide to stay with the older OS & product version.

Disabling HTTPS (SSL Scanning) should be enough, no?

You're right, enabled HTTP again, helps to get rid of the warnings that web protection is disabled. I disabled both just to be safe, I'm covered by MBAM Premium Website Protection anyway.

Indeed. IMO, its the software industry - with the OS manufacturers in the lead that creates more problems these days than they actually solve.

Like I said elsewhere....

I am not a fan of rapid release schedules in general (not including patches and security improvements of course), and if MS (not sure what the latest from MS is) aims to release new versions of Windows more often, like every year, my feeling is that little (or bigger) quirks and bugs will always be a problem - as when the vendor has fixed all reported problems so it is supposed to work good for everyone - it's time for a new OS and new product version - and so it starts all over again, unless the user decide to stay with the older OS & product version.

That's true I guess, but they sould maintain compatiblity anyway. I'd recommend anyone to stay aways from Windows and use Linux in general. I mean forced updates from windows update? Really? And if you choose to uninstall your AV software, Windows Defender auto-activates. When you proceed to turn it off (using MBAM Premium and Anti Exploit anyway), the switch to turn Windows Defender off literally says something like: "Turn off windows defender. (If windows defender is turned off for a period of time, it will automatically turn on again.) Straightout laughable, will they reenable it upon reboot? Tommorow? Next week? 10 minutes? If I wanted any stability, I'd turn away from windows as soon as possible. Okay, enough rant now :D